"SANCTUARIO DE ATOTONILCO - Guanajuato - Mexico" Atotonilco by vaticanus
Atotonilco Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 31 photos
The Sanctuary of Atotonilco is Mexico's Sistine Chapel.
The Sanctuary of Atotonilco (constructed 1740-7) is 7 miles outside of San Miguel de Allende. It is a tiny but unforgetable place well worth exploring.
On some days, no one is around. Other days, thousands of pilgrims descend on the small church. These photos were taken, using a small rangefinder (Without using flash). The government of Mexico has completely restored this patrimonial and artistic treasure.
Father Hidalgo's tiny band of poor farmers stopped here and took as their standard for the Revolutionary Army a banner displaying the Virgin of Guadalupe.
See the travelogues containing additional photos. Click on the photo to enlarge.
I have posted all of my Atotonilco photos on flickr.com as large jpeg files. (avg size 3.5 MB)
Painted by Miguel Antonio de Pocosangre. Miguel had no formal training in western painting. He was an Indian. I find this picture interesting because of the obvious use of perspective. Note that Judas is returning the silver (the priests refuse to accept it) and look way way back in the distance and you see Jesus led away by soldiers.
My guess this scene occurs in the garden, but look at the energy and movement of the figures on the left and center- This is just as good as the murals in the Palacio de Bellas Artes in Mejico.
- Pros:Gorgeous Intricate Colonial Art. A World Heritage Treasure.
- In a nutshell:Mexico's Sistine Chapel.
vaticanus' Related Pages
Atotonilco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "El Grito !!!!!!!!!!!!!"
- "Independency Route"
- "SANCTUARIO DE ATOTONILCO - Guanajuato - Mexico"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Atotonilco
- 1 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Atotonilco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Atotonilco
- Posted in Travel Guatemala Forum "Re: Safety"
- updated a Atotonilco Travel Page "SANCTUARIO DE ATOTONILCO - Guanajuato - Mexico"
- Uploaded a Photo to "SANCTUARIO DE ATOTONILCO - Guanajuato - Mexico"
- Commented on one of chauncenetta's Atotonilco travel pages
- Wrote a Review Pilgrimage Items in Atotonilco Shopping
Photos in AtotonilcoSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 34 reviews, 55 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guatemala Intro, 46 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jersey City Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copán Intro, 5 reviews, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mexico Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Deogarh Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Atotonilco Intro, 1 review, 18 photos, 3 travelogues
- Guanajuato Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco El Alto Intro, 2 reviews, 14 photos, 4 travelogues
- Varanasi Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue