"THE COLONIAL CITY OF GUANAJUATO" Guanajuato by vaticanus
Guanajuato Travel Guide: 180 reviews and 579 photos
Guanajuato (Alt. 6855 ft) sits atop rich veins of silver buried in the earth. Originally, the Otomi Indians settled here until driven out by the Tarascan Indians from the west who were conquered, in turn, by the Aztecs. The name Guanajuato is a corruption of the Tarascan Cuanaxhuata (Hill of the Frogs); who represented the rain god.
Today Guanajuato is the state capital. Narrow, zig-zaging streets climb up from the winding main street.
The main plaza, El Jardin de la Union faces the Teatro Juarez and the Jesuit El Templo de San Diego . Above it all is the Statue of Pipila . Nearby is the Plaza de la Paz and the Basilica de Nuestra Senora de Guanajuata . Adjacent is the Palacio del Gobierno with numerous murals by Chavez Morado.
La Universidad de Guanajuato , which you can see for yourself in Robert Rodriguez's new movie Once Upon A TIme In Mexico which includes numerous shots of the nearby colonial city of San Miguel de Allende.
Dominating the skyline is the adjacent Jesuit La Compania .
In the opposite direction from El Jardin de la Union is Mexico's most organized market (Oaxaca is the second)- El Mercado Municipal - and the nearby warehouse/fortress Alhondiga de Granaditas ; now an enormous museum. (Note: you will see a hill here where prisoners were drawn and quartered which is why it is called El Cerro del Cuarto )
On another hill (take the bus up and walk down) is the infamous Pantheon with its infamous mummies.
Here is one of the finest example of Churrigueresque architecture in all of Mexico- La Iglesia de San Cayetano ; but better known as La Valenciana - about three miles outside of town on a hill overlooking the city. Cross the road to visit the ruins of La Valenciana Mine where miners descended 1000 feet.
This is a beautiful city that once was the capital of Mexico. Guanajuato is a short trip from San Miguel de Allende (popular wih American residents, Canadian "snowbirds" and students who attend the art school.
The city is built in a ravine. Cars can navigate the central street (part of which runs in the old riverbed below the city)- but for many neighborhoods the only way to them is on foot.
- Pros:Atmosphere Beauty History
- Cons:To quote Pogo "From here on down it's uphill all the way"
- In a nutshell:Best of Old and New Worlds
The river was diverted underground and the riverbed is what you see here. Above, are the parks, homes, schools and... more travel advice
This is the original for the mural shown above. ARTIST: Posada, Jose Guadalupe TITLE: Calavera of Don Quijote DETAILS:... more travel advice
vaticanus' Related Pages
Guanajuato Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Place of Montuous Frogs"
- "Travel Notes from Guanajuato"
- "Guanajuato, winding streets, and strange sites"
- "Just one day in Guanajuato leaves you wanting more"
- "THE COLONIAL CITY OF GUANAJUATO"
- "Guanajuato city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guanajuato
- Hotels in Guanajuato
- Transportation in Guanajuato
- Nightlife in Guanajuato
- Restaurants in Guanajuato
- Shopping in Guanajuato
- Warnings and Dangers in Guanajuato
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guanajuato
- 6 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Guanajuato?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guanajuato
- Posted in Travel Guatemala Forum "Re: Safety"
- updated a Guanajuato Travel Page "THE COLONIAL CITY OF GUANAJUATO"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Pantheon / Museo de las Momias Mexico"
- Wrote a Review A River Used To Run Through It in Guanajuato Transportation
- Commented on one of chauncenetta's Guanajuato travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 34 reviews, 55 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guatemala Intro, 46 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jersey City Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copán Intro, 5 reviews, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mexico Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Deogarh Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Atotonilco Intro, 1 review, 18 photos, 3 travelogues
- Guanajuato Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco El Alto Intro, 2 reviews, 14 photos, 4 travelogues
- Varanasi Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Guanajuato hotel reviews
- Casa Zuniga B&B
- 300 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Posada Santa Fe Guanajuato
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 28, 2013
- Castillo Santa Cecilia
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 5, 2012
- Alma del Sol Bed & Breakfast Inn
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 15, 2013
- Camino Real Guanajuato
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 28, 2013
- Real De Minas Guanajuato
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 11, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Guanajuato Mexico
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Mision Guanajuato
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 27, 2013
- La Casa del Tio
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Hotel Del Conde
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Apr 4, 2010
- Casa Estrella De La Valenciana
- 107 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Mineral De Rayas
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 18, 2010