"aka CHILLTOWN (Double XX Posse)" Top 5 Page for this destination Jersey City by vaticanus
Jersey City Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 273 photos
Immigrants from Europe disembarked at Ellis Island. Once they cleared health inspection, they went to the mainland. For most immigrants, that was a 1000 foot boat ride to Jersey City sitting at the end of a peninsula extending into Upper New York Bay
Today, Jersey City is a thriving city of many neighborhoods- from India, the Philipines, Egypt, Pakistan, Mexico, South America, and Asia. Between 1980 and 2000 the Asian population quadrupled to 39,000. The present population of Jersey City is now 240,000.
This page consists of photos taking during one of my day trips to Jersey CIty in 2003.
...wave after wave of immigrants have left sedimentary layers below the surface of things.
Layers: tear back the awning of a Filipino bakery and find the banner of a Puerto Rican bodega that came before. Rip that away and discover the marquee of an Italian deli. A deli becomes a bodega becomes a bakery. A church becomes a shul becomes a mosque. And so it goes, level upon level of culture, history, belief.
-From Star-Ledger 03.10.12 "The House That Three Faiths Rebuilt"
The Hudson and Lincoln Tunnels, the PATH trains, and AMTRACK connect NJ to NYC under the Hudson River. Ferries operate between Jersey City, Hoboken and Weehawken to Wall Street, and 34th Street.
- Pros:Bustling Diverse Friendly
This view overlooks the entrance and exit ramps to the George Washington Bridge and the New Jersey Turnpike....and a... more travel advice
So you ignored the signs and fed the pigeons... tsk tsk tsk.....However, there is a way to spend your time out of jail... more travel advice
Written Sep 27, 2003
GATEWAYS TO THE AMERICAN DREAM
Written Jan 8, 2004
GLASS BRICK STONE & STEEL
vaticanus' Related Pages
Jersey City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jersey City"
- "aka CHILLTOWN (Double XX Posse)"
- "Jersey City - Liberty State Park"
- "A SURPRISE OUTING FOR RICHIE AND THE BOYS"
- "Jersey City, New York and US of A"
- "Jersey City"
- "Just some quick beautiful sights of the city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jersey City
- Hotels in Jersey City
- Transportation in Jersey City
- Nightlife in Jersey City
- Restaurants in Jersey City
- Shopping in Jersey City
- Warnings and Dangers in Jersey City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jersey City
- 13 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Jersey City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jersey City
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 34 reviews, 55 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guatemala Intro, 46 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jersey City Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copán Intro, 5 reviews, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mexico Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Deogarh Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Atotonilco Intro, 1 review, 18 photos, 3 travelogues
- Guanajuato Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco El Alto Intro, 2 reviews, 14 photos, 4 travelogues
- Varanasi Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue