"SAN FRANCISCO EL ALTO" San Francisco El Alto by vaticanus
San Francisco El Alto Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 14 photos
Markets are held throughout Guatemala. Markets in larger towns and in many smaller settlements also are open every day of the week, but only once a week is there really a "market day". Most tourists to Guatemala will visit the market at Chichicastenango. This is deservedly a well-known market- but there are others equally fascinating and unique. San Francisco El Alto (KM 190 on the Pan American Highway) is my favorite. Unless otherwise noted, all of these pictures were taken at the market in San Francisco El Alto.
SEE TRAVELOGUES FOR MORE PICS
NOTE: San Francisco has a huge week long Patron Saint Feria in early October. Check the newest edition of your guidebook for dates.
San Francisco El Alto is an easy day trip from Panajachel (Lago Atitlan). As you can see by clicking on the image, it is on the same road as Momostenango aka "Momo"- popularly acclaimed for its fabrics.
Market Day in San Francisco el Alto is Friday, but there is market activity in garments throughout the week.
In the afternoon there is a livestock fair.
Don't worry about missing your stop riding the bus. Lots of passengers will be going the same way you are.
- Pros:Colorful and Fascinating
- Cons:You'll tire before you've seen it all
- In a nutshell:The best market in Guatemala-
On market day in San Francisco El Alto the livestock fair continues into the afternoon- long after trading has come to a... more travel advice
vaticanus' Related Pages
San Francisco El Alto Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in San Francisco El Alto
- 2 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to San Francisco El Alto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Francisco El Alto
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 34 reviews, 55 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guatemala Intro, 46 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jersey City Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copán Intro, 5 reviews, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mexico Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Deogarh Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Atotonilco Intro, 1 review, 18 photos, 3 travelogues
- Guanajuato Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco El Alto Intro, 2 reviews, 14 photos, 4 travelogues
- Varanasi Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue