"A stop of the Silk Road" Top 5 Page for this destination Dunhuang by SirRichard
Dunhuang Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 276 photos
I visited Dunhuang in 1991, as part of a longer trip from Samarkanda to Beijing, following the Silk Route.
Dunhuang was a famous stop on the route, as it was an oasis on the way.
The most famous landmarks around here are the Mogao Buddhist Caves with wall paintings & sculptures, the Singing Sand Mountains and the Crescent Moon Lake.
The Silk Road was a trading route linking China with the Mediterranean coasts. It started during the time of the Han Dynasty, 206BC-220AD.
It is not an actual “road” but a route, including several paths and branches but going briefly from Xian through the north of China, middle Asia, Caucasus ending in Turkey and Venice.
Dunhuang was an oasis town in the route from Xian to Kashgar.
Near Dunhuang, in the north part of China, there are many ruined old cities, which flourished in the period of the ncamels caravans and were abandoned later...
When I visited Chine there was 2 kinds of money: 1.- The normal YUAN, used by the locals. 2.- The RENMINS or "tourist... more travel advice
The Gobi Desert is all around Dunhuang. The place is a real oasis in this desertic endless landscapes, a bit monotonous... more travel advice
SirRichard's Related Pages
Dunhuang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A stop of the Silk Road"
- "Dazzling Strength"
- "The gate of Skill road"
- "Dunhuang - A famous historical site"
- "Silk Road-- The Cradle of Chinese Civilisation"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dunhuang
- Hotels in Dunhuang
- Transportation in Dunhuang
- Nightlife in Dunhuang
- Restaurants in Dunhuang
- Shopping in Dunhuang
- Warnings and Dangers in Dunhuang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dunhuang
- 14 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Dunhuang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dunhuang
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues