"A stop of the Silk Road" Top 5 Page for this destination Dunhuang by SirRichard

Dunhuang Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 276 photos

Dunes and caves

I visited Dunhuang in 1991, as part of a longer trip from Samarkanda to Beijing, following the Silk Route.

Dunhuang was a famous stop on the route, as it was an oasis on the way.
The most famous landmarks around here are the Mogao Buddhist Caves with wall paintings & sculptures, the Singing Sand Mountains and the Crescent Moon Lake.

The Silk Road

The Silk Road was a trading route linking China with the Mediterranean coasts. It started during the time of the Han Dynasty, 206BC-220AD.

It is not an actual “road” but a route, including several paths and branches but going briefly from Xian through the north of China, middle Asia, Caucasus ending in Turkey and Venice.

Dunhuang was an oasis town in the route from Xian to Kashgar.

Ancient Cities

Near Dunhuang, in the north part of China, there are many ruined old cities, which flourished in the period of the ncamels caravans and were abandoned later...

• Last visit to Dunhuang: Aug 1991
  • Intro Updated Oct 29, 2003

• Aug 13, 2004 at 3:28 AM

I'm glad you like this place.I'm a native in Gansu province.I'm proud of it ! Thank you for your interesting page.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2003 at 10:39 AM

I also have a horseshoe from my recent trip to Myanmar..I don't think it belonged to Marco Polo though..ahah Fantastic adventure Joaquin!

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2003 at 7:39 AM

Great page, really enjoyed the Gobi Desert. It does look like a fascinating. :o)

• TomorrowsAngel's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2003 at 10:56 AM

Interesting page. The caves look interesting. Camel rides are cool aye. Bec

• Imbi's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2003 at 11:36 PM

I had camel ride once, when I was in Karachi but I didn’t enjoy it. Nice page.

• Beach_dog's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2003 at 1:05 PM

And I'm pleased to be the second :0) It looks like the horseshoe brought you luck Joaquin, you have retained your youthful looks. You are right about dune walking, it's very tiring, I walked up some in Tarifa the other week.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2003 at 1:47 PM

So happy to be the first one to congratulate you on this wonderful page! I did not know, what to expect, when I opened it, but the Gobi Desert definitely is on my wish list! Wonderful page, Joaquin!

“When in doubt, move!”

Badges & Stats in Dunhuang

Have you been to Dunhuang?

Latest Activity in Dunhuang