"A german spot in an african desert" Top 5 Page for this destination Swakopmund by SirRichard
Swakopmund Travel Guide: 126 reviews and 538 photos
As you can see in this pic, Swakopmund is an island between the Namib Desert and the Atlantic Ocean.
There's not much around, you arrive to Swakopmund after several hours of desert crossing through the Namib Naukluft Desert, seeing nothing but dunes. The town itself is not Las Vegas, but is the only civilised place in miles.
To the north and to the south all you can find is endless dunes along the coast called "Skeleton Coast"...
Sounds inviting, eh? Well, believe it or not, Swakopmund is the main summer and beaches spot in this part of Africa. In January-March (summer in the south hemisphere) is really crowded here, but at the time we went (august) you could hardly see a soul around...
As you enter the town from the desert, it seems like a dream to find those european mansions in the middle of nothing...
Namibia has been a german colony for a long period, and the german influence is visible all around the town, much more here than in the capital (Windhoek), as here there are still all buildings from that time.
You can also find several antique shops selling memorabilia of that period, similar to what you can find in Kenya, but with a german accent.
I arrived to Swakopmund in a group tour from Windhoek. My friend Javier and me joined that small international group in the capital and travelled in the truck U C in the pic all around Namibia till the Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe.
We slep in tents, had lunch in the middle of the desert and visited all the dunes around there. It was a 7 days safari... fun!!
The Welwitschia Mirabillis are a unique kind of plant, one of the oldest in earth (around 2.000 years some of them).... more travel advice
There are a lot of activities to do in Swakopmund, mainly in december (our summer). One of the best is an airplane ride... more travel advice
SirRichard's Related Pages
Swakopmund Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BEST BEACH RESORT IN NAMIBIA"
- "Germany in the Desert"
- "Swakopmund - city at the misty coast of Namibia"
- ""And the weather forecast for today is 14 and 22""
- "A german spot in an african desert"
- "Little Germany"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Swakopmund
- Hotels in Swakopmund
- Transportation in Swakopmund
- Nightlife in Swakopmund
- Restaurants in Swakopmund
- Shopping in Swakopmund
- Warnings and Dangers in Swakopmund
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Swakopmund
- 8 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Swakopmund?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Swakopmund
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues