"An unknown jewel" Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia by SirRichard
Ethiopia Travel Guide: 1,823 reviews and 8,929 photos
I have just returned from a 17 days trip to Ethiopia. I went there independent, bought a Lufthansa air ticket and after arriving in Addis i started taking buses to do all the "Historic Route" in the north, clockwise to Bahir Dar, Gonder, Axum, Tigray and Lalibela. As things went much better than expected, I still had 3 days left in Addis, so I took another bus to follow the steps of my admired Burton and enter the muslim city of Harar, in the East.
In spite of the common western perception of Ethiopia as a dry desert where everybody is hungry, I have discovered a wonderful green country with lots of interesting treasures and monuments, water (maybe too much, I went in rainy season) and friendly people.
What attracts most visitors to Ethiopia are the fantastic rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, but there are many other top attractions in the country. This is what I saw:
- Bahir Dar: The Blue Nile source and Falls. Lake Tana and its orthodox monasteries.
- Gonder: Medieval Castles and the incredible H.D.Selassie church with amazing paintings on walls and ceiling.
- Axum: the monolite stelae, the church of St.Mary of Sion (where the Ark of the Covenant is said to be).
- Tigray: the many remote monasteries and churches in the rocks (yes, IN!), Yeha archeological site and Debre Damo holy monastery.
- Lalibela: the world know rock-hewn churches.
- Harar: a walls surrounded citadel, the muslim markets, the feeding of the hyaenas.
- Addis: museums, the Merkato market, restaurants, Entoto Hills.
Travelling around the north gives you the chance to admire somre incredible green mountain landscapes.
It was a trip full of surprises: pushing the bus out of the mud became a daily activity, sleping with the monks in Debre Damo isolated monastery was an unique experience, travelling in trucks, donkeys, and even a UN Peace Forces pickup near the Eritrean border made the trip interesting, travelling by bus in Ethiopia is a resistance challenge, with bus rides of 10-12 hours daily...
In the pic you can see me painting my Travel Diary on top of Debre Damo monastery.
If you ask for a coffee in Ethiopia you will get a small glass of BLACK coffee with 2 spoons of sugar. If you rather... more travel advice
Bahar Dar is a small town set on the southeastern shore of Lake Tana (Ethiopia's largest lake), where local fishermen... more travel advice
- See All Ethiopians
- Climbing in Debre Damo
- See All The coffee ceremony
- See All Muddy roads
SirRichard's Related Pages
Ethiopia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A country with a warm heart..."
- "THE KINGDOM OF AFRICA"
- "THE HORN OF AFRICA"
- "An unknown jewel"
- "Northern Ethiopia and Danakil Desert"
- "Ethiopia - A Unique Country In Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ethiopia
- Hotels in Ethiopia
- Transportation in Ethiopia
- Nightlife in Ethiopia
- Restaurants in Ethiopia
- Shopping in Ethiopia
- Warnings and Dangers in Ethiopia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ethiopia
- 169 Reviews
- 240 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Ethiopia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ethiopia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues