"More than this..." Top 5 Page for this destination Spain by SirRichard
Spain Travel Guide: 55,153 reviews and 145,240 photos
may be the typical idea most of you might have about Spain: Bullfighting, flamenco, sun and beaches...
Well, we have all that, of course, but much more... Spain is a very diverse and interesting country. If you dare to explore a bit inland, apart from the Mediterranean beaches, you will find some hidden treasuries, Switzerland-like landscapes in the north, snowy mountains and ski stations in Granada, Volcanos in Canary Islands, deserts in Almeria...
If you don't have enough time to see all in Spain, there are 10 places you shouldn't miss:
1.- La Alhambra: Granada. Former residence of the moorish rulers of Al Andalus. To get there take the #30 microbus from the centre. Entrance 6 euros., children under 8 free. There is a touristic card which lets you see Alhambra, ten bus rides and the main monuments for 18 euros (Ph: 902100095). For tickets in advance go to www.alhambratickets.com
2.- Museo del Prado: Madrid. Imprescindible if you want to know the best of spanish painting (Velazquez, Goya...). Paseo del Prado, in fron of Ritz and Palace hotels. Metro Banco de España. Entrance 3 euros, free on saturdays from 14,30 and sundays all day. There is a ticket for 3 museums (Prado, Thyssen & Reina Sofia) for 8 euros. It's gonna be refurbished soon. More info at museoprado.mcu.es
3.- Museo Reina Sofía: Madrid. Santa Isabel, 52. Metro: Atocha. Entrance as the Prado. The best place to see spanish painting from XX century. Don't miss the Guernica, by Picasso. More info at: museoreinasofia.mcu.es
4.- La Sagrada Familia: Barcelona. c/Mallorca, 401. Metro: Sagrada Familia. Entrance 8 euros. Elevator: 1,5 euros. This unfinished masterpiece of Antonio Gaudi will be finished by 2022, 140 years after it was started. More info at: www.sagradafamilia.org.
5.- La Pedrera (Casa Mila): Barcelona. c/Provenca, 261-265. Metro: Diagonal. Entrance 6 euros. Another great building by Gaudí, where you can see a modernist flat with the original century of the beginning of XX century. More info at: www.casamila.com.
6. Sevilla's Cathedral: Sevilla. Av. Constitución, near Plaza Nueva. Entrance 6 euros, free on sundays. Former moorish mosque of the city. Its tower, the Giralda is a symbol of the city and deserves the foot climbing because of the magnificient view from the top.
7.- Reales Alcázares: Sevilla. Plaza del Triunfo, by the Cathedral. Entrance 5 euros. Former royal residence, it has magnificient gardens too with many fountains, a very relaxing place. In summer there are night shows in the gardens.
8.- Cordoba's Mosque: Córdoba. c/Cardenal Herrero, 1. Bus #3. Entrance 6 euros. Former mosque, now is, as the one in Sevilla, the Cathedral. Don't miss the impressive red and white arcs inside.
9.- Picasso Museum: Barcelona. c/Montcada, 15-23. Metro: Arc de Trionf, Liceu & Jaume I. Entrance, 5 euros. A very interesting collection on Picasso's works, mainly its early ones, not so well known and very much figurative than its world famous paintings. The building that houses the museum is very interesting too. More info at: www.museupicasso.bcn.es.
10.- Guggenheim Museum: Bilbao. Abandoibarra, 2. Metro: Moyua. Entrance 6 euros. This amazing building, by Frank O'Gehry deserves a visit maybe more for the outside than for the interior, though it houses many interesting temporary exhibitions. Don't miss the Puppy, a huge dog made out of natural flowers, at the main entrance. More info at: www.guggenheim-bilbao.es.
We have wonderful beaches all around Spain and in the islands, but they are not the same. So if you are looking for: -... more travel advice
There are several flea markets all over Spain, but maybe the most famous is "El Rastro", in Madrid. It is held on sunday... more travel advice
- See All Eurolines
- See All Cafes
- See All Vejer (Cadiz)
- See All Soccer
- See All Puppets at the Retiro Park (Madrid)
SirRichard's Related Pages
Spain Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Viva Espana!"
- "The Clock Does Not "Rule" in Spain"
- "More than this..."
- "VT meeting in Madrid"
- "A Method to the MAD(ness)......and the players!"
- "Bienvenido a Espana - Welcome to Spain."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Spain
- Hotels in Spain
- Transportation in Spain
- Nightlife in Spain
- Restaurants in Spain
- Shopping in Spain
- Warnings and Dangers in Spain
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Spain
- 796 Reviews
- 1,004 Photos
- 269 Forum posts
- 21 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Spain?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Spain
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues