Peru Local Custom Tips by SirRichard Top 5 Page for this destination
Peru Local Customs: 129 reviews and 113 photos
Quechua speaker in Isla Taquile
But there are other languages spoken in Peru. Most of the people from Cuzco and north Titicaca speak QUECHUA, a language spoken by incas. If you go south of Lake Titicaca they speak AYMARA, and in the jungle the different tribes have different dialects.
We would say "parada"
In Peru they speak mainly spanish, though there are words and expressions we don't use back in Spain. In general you could understand all, is just that some words sound funny or inusual, but you get soon used to them.
Knowing a few words of spanish is so very useful, specially if you have to ask for a street, find where a bus takes you and so on...
Every ethnic group has its own distinctive hat. When I was in Pisaq Market I counted up to 4 different types of hat, all in women with traditional dressing. In the pic you can see the most colourful one, with "flowers in their hair", like the hippies of the 60s :-))
Market in Pisaq
In Peru women wear traditionally hats, while most men wear just caps or nothing.
The most common hats are a kind of bowler hats, I guess they come from some old caps wore by europeans here in 19th century. These are common in Bolivia too.
More Reviews (36)
- See All Massage in Machu Picchu
- See All Table football
- See All Nights in Titicaca Lake
- See All Cerbatanas are considered weapons
- See All Wildlife near Iquitos
- Walking boots
SirRichard's Related Pages
Peru Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One Gringa's Peru"
- "The heart of America"
- "Roads less traveled in Peru"
- "Proud to be peruvian!"
- "Peru, my first taste of the Andes and the jungle"
- "Paul2001's Travels Through Peru"
- "And, now, ladies and gentlemen : mas abajo !"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Peru
- Hotels in Peru
- Transportation in Peru
- Nightlife in Peru
- Restaurants in Peru
- Shopping in Peru
- Warnings and Dangers in Peru
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Peru
- 246 Reviews
- 305 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Peru?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Peru
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues