"The heart of America" Top 5 Page for this destination Peru by SirRichard
Peru Travel Guide: 7,809 reviews and 20,806 photos
OK, Peru is much more than this, but how would you resume Peru in an image? Machu Picchu, Peru's icon and probably the best known image of South America.
In Peru you can find Andean landscapes and people with interesting customs, Titicaca lake, a wonderful coast with beaches, natural parks, mysterious lines written for the stars, amazing ruins, humid tropical jungles, the Amazon river, trekking scenaries with snowed mountains and volcanos, colonial past and a very rich history...
Ufff... too much to see in too little time! I had only 17 days and this is what I did:
Saturday 16: arrival at Lima at 18:30. Pick up arranged and stay at "Hotel España" in the old part of the city.
Sunday 17: leaving for Cuzco early in the morning (5:45), arrival and day to visit the city.
Monday 18: Visit the ruins around Cuzco. Acclimatization to the altitude.
Tuesday 19-Friday 22: Leaving for the Inca Trail hiking: 4 days / 3 nights of hiking along the Sacred Valley, followinf the ancient route used by the Incas to reach Machu Picchu. On friday, a swim in the termal waters of Aguas Calientes and return to Cuzco by train.
Saturday 23: Cuzco-Puno by bus. A first approach to Lake Titicaca.
Sunday 24: Bus to Copacabana in Bolivia, still by the shore of Titicaca, to visit the Sun & Moon islands.
Monday 25: Bus to the aymara ruins of Tiahuanaco, still in Bolivia.
Tuesday 26: return to Puno and from there to Cuzco by train.
Wednesday 27: Plane Cuzco-Lima and from there plane Lima-Iquitos. Arrival to the Peruvian Amazon jungle.
Thursday 28-Saturday 30: Stay at a jungle lodge down the Amazon and trek through the jungle. Return to Lima on Saturday 30.
Sunday 1: Visit to Lima.
Monday 2: Return to Spain.
In the town close to Machu Picchu (Aguas Calientes) you will find many massage centers. Why? First, the town is famous... more travel advice
Spending a few nights in one of the islands in the Titicaca Lake is a really interesting experience. I did it in Isla... more travel advice
- See All Cerbatanas are considered weapons
- See All Wildlife near Iquitos
- Walking boots
- See All Moto-taxis
- See All Tiles
SirRichard's Related Pages
Peru Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One Gringa's Peru"
- "The heart of America"
- "Roads less traveled in Peru"
- "Proud to be peruvian!"
- "Peru, my first taste of the Andes and the jungle"
- "Paul2001's Travels Through Peru"
- "And, now, ladies and gentlemen : mas abajo !"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Peru
- Hotels in Peru
- Transportation in Peru
- Nightlife in Peru
- Restaurants in Peru
- Shopping in Peru
- Warnings and Dangers in Peru
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Peru
- 246 Reviews
- 305 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Peru?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Peru
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues