"Mistras, a byzantine ghost town" Top 5 Page for this destination Mistras by SirRichard
Mistras Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 92 photos
On top of Taigetos mountain, just 5 km from Sparta,stands Mistras, an old byzantine city spreading over a hill.
It was the capital of Byzantine and Medieval Mystras. Was built by William II of Villehardouin in 1249, in the attempt of the Franks to establish their supremacy over the Peloponnese.
One of the most beautiful castles and ruins of Greece (4 me).
Mistras is located in the middle of the southern part of the Peloponnese peninsula.
Mistras is a site to be seen from upside down. It has 2 gates. The best is to enter by the upper and leave by the lowest. It takes 2-3 hours for a complete visit.
The hill is some 30 minutes away from Sparta (you can see the city at the background in the pic). There's a bus going there.
All along the paved roads you will find these useful signs (at right in the pic) written in greek & english, telling you... more travel advice
Mistras was a really important city at byzantine times. It had palaces, churches, monasteries, walls, paved... more travel advice
SirRichard's Related Pages
Mistras Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alive Byzantium!"
- "Even the word is magical..."
- "One of Greece's Premiere Byzantine Attractions"
- "Mistras, a byzantine ghost town"
- "Mystras, Greece"
- "Byzantine wonderland"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mistras
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Mistras?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mistras
Photos in MistrasSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues