Africa Warnings Or Dangers Tips by SirRichard Top 5 Page for this destination
Africa Warnings and Dangers: 85 reviews and 152 photos
An oranges stall
In the Djema el Fnaa Square in Marrakesh you will find many street stalls offering delicious freshly made orange juice. For less than 1 euro you will get a whole orange juice glass.
BUT tell the vendor to not add water or ice to your juice, as they add it from the tap and you can suffer stomach problems if you drink that. Tell him to put just juice, even if he has to put double orange to fill the glass, is still very cheap, so don't take the risk
WC in Lake Manyara, Tanzania
In some areas of Africa you won't find modern western WC services but rather basic ones, so you better be prepared, for instance, bringing your own toilet paper with you.
In some place (i.e. in most of the campings when you do safaris in Tanzania) all you will find are holes on the ground inside wooden huts, and the "showers" will be a barrel of water on top of you from where you get water (cold, of course) from a tap...
A lonesome street
Many people say Africa is hazardous and dangerous and see it as a risky destination. I have never had any problem regarding my personal security neither have I felt menaced in any situation, but I admit some cities have a "bad reputation". As far as I know: Pretoria/Jo'burg, Nairobi, Dakar... but is more for small thefts in people crowds as markets and so and maybe some touts and people hassling you to get a guide, buy this and that... not really murders, kidnappings and things like that!
Anyway, I think that if you take the normal precautions and don't show notorious richness (cameras, money...) around, you will be safe walking about the cities as in any other place of the world.
More Reviews (46)
- See All The Carnivore (Nairobi)
- See All The Spice Inn
- See All Victoria & Albert Wall (Cape Town, South...
- See All Ait Ben Haddou (Morocco)
- Ask in the Forums
- See All Languages
SirRichard's Related Pages
Africa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "AFRICA - LAND OF HISTORY & FRIENDSHIP"
- "A continent full of contrasts."
- "Africa, a never ending lovestory !"
- "My private Africa"
- "Africa the oldest Continent"
- "Africa - The Adventure Continent"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Africa
- Hotels in Africa
- Transportation in Africa
- Nightlife in Africa
- Restaurants in Africa
- Shopping in Africa
- Warnings and Dangers in Africa
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Africa
- 531 Reviews
- 824 Photos
- 12 Countries
- 23 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Africa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Africa
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues