Africa Tourist Trap Tips by SirRichard Top 5 Page for this destination
Africa Tourist Traps: 35 reviews and 62 photos
A wood shop in Marrakesh
In most occasions when you buy something at a local shop or in the street, you are supposed to bargain. The vendor will always tell you a higher price as a first, so you will have to start this interesting bargaining game. African traders are hard to convince, so here are some rules:
- Don't ask the price unless you're prepared to bargain.
- Don't point at something to show it to your friend...
- Relax... they are going to try very hard to get your attention.
- It's more polite to say "la prochaine fois" (next time) than "no."
- When bargaining, their first price is NEVER their last! Neither should yours be. Start much lower than what you want to pay, then get more reasonable.
- Try to ask someone who is experienced in shopping for moroccan souvenirs for what a good price is. (Don't ask someone who is selling them!)
- Walking away is a good technique to get a lower price.
- Don't be in a hurry... you'll end up paying more.
- "All that glitters is not gold,"... and all that is black is not ebony.
- BUY LOTS OF STUFF!! (it will probably be cheaper than at home) Remember your trip forever!
More Reviews (48)
- See All The Carnivore (Nairobi)
- See All The Spice Inn
- See All Victoria & Albert Wall (Cape Town, South...
- See All Water in orange juices
- See All Ait Ben Haddou (Morocco)
- Ask in the Forums
SirRichard's Related Pages
Africa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "AFRICA - LAND OF HISTORY & FRIENDSHIP"
- "A continent full of contrasts."
- "Africa, a never ending lovestory !"
- "My private Africa"
- "Africa the oldest Continent"
- "Africa - The Adventure Continent"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Africa
- Hotels in Africa
- Transportation in Africa
- Nightlife in Africa
- Restaurants in Africa
- Shopping in Africa
- Warnings and Dangers in Africa
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cabrera Hotels
- Saint-Servan-sur-Mer Hotels
- Gold Hill Hotels
- Misawa Hotels
- Kampong Lanchang
- Wabagishik Lake
Badges & Stats in Africa
- 531 Reviews
- 824 Photos
- 12 Countries
- 23 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Africa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Africa
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
Top Africa hotels
- Sharm El Sheikh Hotels
- 1318 Reviews - 2335 Photos
- Hurghada Hotels
- 670 Reviews - 1673 Photos
- Cape Town Hotels
- 2634 Reviews - 6071 Photos
- Johannesburg Hotels
- 1063 Reviews - 2179 Photos
- Hammamet Hotels
- 170 Reviews - 428 Photos
- Cairo Hotels
- 3867 Reviews - 8922 Photos
- Durban Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 844 Photos
- Marrakesh Hotels
- 2159 Reviews - 5867 Photos
- Sousse Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 930 Photos
- Addis Ababa Hotels
- 378 Reviews - 1112 Photos
- Mauritius Hotels
- 127 Reviews - 275 Photos
- Pretoria Hotels
- 394 Reviews - 700 Photos
- Accra Hotels
- 284 Reviews - 746 Photos
- Port Elizabeth Hotels
- 92 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Casablanca Hotels
- 515 Reviews - 1268 Photos