"Guggenheim Museum and much more..." Top 5 Page for this destination Bilbao by SirRichard

Bilbao Travel Guide: 814 reviews and 2,106 photos

Bilbao was till the 90s a grey big industrial town, economical heart of the Basque Country, in north Spain.
But since the opening of a new Guggenheim Museum by the river, the city has reborn from its ashes, has brightened up and now is a major touristic destination... they call it "Guggy Effect"!!

Take a look along the coast

Besides the city center there are lots of little villages around Bilbao, with marvellous green landscapes and fabulous gastronomy, like Bermeo, Bakio, Gernika, Lekeitio...
Take the road from Getxo (at the end of the river) to Lekeitio, and dont fotget the "Urdaibai" natural reserve.

• Last visit to Bilbao: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 13, 2004

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Richard, excellent Bilbao page here. We will be there next Saturday.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Muchas Gracias! I have noted a few of your tips for our upcoming trip!

• Jul 3, 2006 at 12:40 PM

Thank you for a very helpful page.

• munki's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2005 at 6:53 AM

Brilliant page of Bilbao and some great photos. Keep the good work!! Las acuarelas muy bonitas. Marcos

• J.I.M's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2005 at 8:50 PM

Great page Joaquin, I've heard good things about Bilbao, I'll be sure to visit :D

• tpal's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2004 at 12:45 PM

Great work as always, Joaquin. We were wanting to see the Guggenheim and hoping there was more to Bilbao. We would like to make it a side trip from Aquitaine. Starting to look like a good idea. P.S. Are we the only MAC users on VT? ...Tom

• GillianMcLaughlin's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2004 at 4:52 AM

Great page Joaquin. I'm heading to Bilbao for the 4th time in a few weeks for work... some very helpful suggestions here and I'm pleased to see some paintings (why can't I do that?)

• Jun 8, 2004 at 7:54 AM

Excellent page!

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2004 at 2:56 PM

Great page, i love Spain. Bilbao is a must see! The pic of Bakio Beach is fantastic.

• Intrepidduck's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2004 at 5:04 PM

Nice shot you have of the "Guggy" and what appears to be one of Jeff Koons' Floral Puppies. This building will be a must see toward the end of my Walk Through Europe.

SirRichard