Cadiz Favorite Tips by SirRichard Top 5 Page for this destination
Cadiz Favorites: 58 reviews and 54 photos
The walls entrance
Favorite thing: Literally 'The Land Gates', are the only entrance to the Center of the town from the modern part. They divide the city in 2 main parts:
- The old part, know simply as Cadiz, where the main touristic highlighta are.
- The modern part, known as PuertaTierra, consisting mainly in a big Avenue (La Avenida) with modern buildings. Here are the main beaches and modern hotels.
The monument in Plaza de España
Favorite thing: After the French Wars in the beginning of the 19th century, the spanish people gathered and declared the first constitution in our nation.
Cadiz was a main center of the Liberal party on those days, and here was declared the first constitution we had in Spain, in 1812. It was declared in the "San Felipe Neri" church, that can be visited in the center. There is a monument in the Plaza de España to celebrate it...
Favorite thing: This is the main feast in Cadiz. During one week, around the end of February, all the city's activities stop to perform the big Carnival week.
The main activities take place in the city old center. People (almost everyone in town) get disguised, mostly at nights both weekends. Sundays at noon there is a show of singing Groups in the Central Market (Plaza de la Libertad).
A view from above
Favorite thing: You can enjoy a mild weather in Cadiz all year round. In summer is hot, but it gets cooler because of the sea breeze.
Fondest memory: http://www.weather.com/weather/cities/sp__cadiz.html
Favorite thing: In front of the harbour, this square houses the Town Hall. All around you can find many terraces to sit quietly for breakfast, lunch... At the right corner at the bottom there is a little street that will take you to the Cathedral.
Favorite thing: There are several tourist info points in Cadiz, but I think the main one is in the "Canalejas Gardens", just in front of the harbour, in the closest corner of the San Juan de Dios Square (where the Town Hall is).
To get there from the train station, pass the big fountain and turn left after the tall building on your left.
Here you will find schedules, leaflets, info about wine cellars, beaches....
A nice gate
Favorite thing: If you walk around the old town's narrow streets, you will notice many old houses have big wooden gates and nice cool patios.
Don't be shy, go in, seek... and even talk to locals, they will be glad to let you take pics of their patios!
La Avenida from Puertas de Tierra
Favorite thing: This is the name by which is known the main avenue going all along the modern part of the city.
This will be the way you will enter Cadiz if you come by car or bus. Follow it till the city walls to find the old part of the city where most of the highlights are.
It has several official names (Av. de Andalucia, Av. Ana de Viya...) but is normally known as "The Avenue".
More Reviews (74)
- See All Pazza Mina Ice Creams
- See All Sundays Fleamarket
- See All Punta de San Felipe
- See All Santa Cueva church
- See All A peculiar entrance
SirRichard's Related Pages
Cadiz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I was born in Cadiz"
- "University years in Cadiz"
- "Europes Oldest City"
- "A short visit to Cadiz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cadiz
- Hotels in Cadiz
- Transportation in Cadiz
- Nightlife in Cadiz
- Restaurants in Cadiz
- Shopping in Cadiz
- Warnings and Dangers in Cadiz
- See All...
Explore the World
- Sissonville Hotels
- Piedras Blancas Hotels
- Hvammstangi Hotels
- Schloß Salem Hotels
Badges & Stats in Cadiz
- 82 Reviews
- 98 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 148 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Cadiz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cadiz
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Cadiz hotel reviews
- Iberostar City Hotel Campo de Gibraltar
- 293 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Hotel Barrosa Palace
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Hostal Centro Sol
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 17, 2013
- Quo Qadis
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hostal La Hormiga Voladora
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 23, 2013
- Casa Caracol
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Hotel Barcelo Bahia Sur
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 18, 2013
- Hotel Fuerte Conil
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2013
- Tryp La Caleta
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Hotel Playa Victoria Cadiz
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Parador de Cadiz
- 155 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Hostal Fantoni
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 23, 2012
- Puertatierra Hotel Cadiz
- 105 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Francia y Paris
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 28, 2013
- Cadiz Province: towns and villages- 26 Reviews, 36 Photos
- Cathedral- 25 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Beaches & Seafront- 17 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Torre Tavira- 8 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Parque Genovés- 4 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Plaza de las Flores- 7 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Walls & fortifications- 10 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Town Hall / Ayuntamiento- 7 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Plaza de España- 8 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Day trips to Morroco- 2 Reviews, 2 Photos
See All Cadiz Things to Do