"I was born in Cadiz" Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz by SirRichard

Cadiz Travel Guide: 601 reviews and 1,241 photos

A little old white town

I was born in Cadiz, and I lived there for nearly 20 years. I come back whenever I have a long weekend or so.
There are so many places to see, and yet so few tourists. It's like a hidden jewel, so I better stop telling you how wonderful it is... or you might feel like visiting it, and it would get so crowded!!

Nearly an island

Cadiz is surrounded by water (Atlantic Ocean) all around, except from the tongue of land you see at the left in the pic.
It had its Golden Era in the 19th century, when it was an outstanding harbour. There are many old pics where you can see the main harbour (in the middle in the pic) full of big wooden vessels with white sails...

A charming atmosphere

Cadiz's old town is round shaped, small, all surrounded by sea but with few beaches. What is not harbour is stone walls keeping the city above the sea level.
It's a very "walkable" city and you will soon feel its relaxed atmosphere and lively streets.

• Last visit to Cadiz: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 14, 2003

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I enjoyed your Cadiz pages with the memories from your childhood. It is a place to consider for a daytrip from Sevilla! Muchas gracias, Joaquin!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2010 at 2:15 PM

The ornamental towers and cathedrals are fantastic to see. I liked your comments and lucky you had heritage form this town.

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2009 at 3:56 PM

You know I am always thinking of Europe :) ... soon soon !!

• Birgie's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2008 at 8:49 AM

The amount of info you have is amazing. The pictures of Cadiz, wow...I am only just starting to browse your pages. I just got back from Spain.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2007 at 8:31 AM

Cadiz looks very interesting. We'll be in the area in a few days, and have booked a trip on the ferry boat going up the Guadalquivir River. Looks like fantastic birding!

• Apr 27, 2007 at 8:03 AM

Sir Richard re; Cadiz - can you help me with self catering accomodation in the town in the second week of June. I am finding it hard to find anywhere Thank you

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2006 at 2:32 AM

We visited Cadiz in 2000 and liked the beautiful parks along the water and the authenticity of this town as well as the moderate climate compared to inner Andalucia.

• ladymarie's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2006 at 2:17 PM

Your pictures of Cadiz brought back many memories for me..I was born in calle jose-celestino mutiz and came to the uk when i was 6yrs old.I have been back only the once many years ago, but remember the caleta beach and the park nearby regards Mari-carmen

• Oct 13, 2006 at 7:19 AM

I lived in Cadiz during 16 years, always desire to return, although now alive in Cordoba, that is very beautiful, my thoughts are in Cadiz. Greetings from the Mezquita (that I recommend to everybody)

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2006 at 10:31 AM

What a beautiful little city! I definitely want to visit Cadiz when I return to Spain next spring!

SirRichard