"Those round rocks..." Top 5 Page for this destination Rhodes Matopos National Park by SirRichard
Rhodes Matopos National Park Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 86 photos
This park is not famous for its wild animals but because of its strange rock formations and its unique landscapes.
Long before Cecil Rhodes "took" it for him (as his burial place), natives considered it a sacred place, as many bushmen paintings on the rocks show.
Matopos Park is in the south western part of the country, near Bulawayo, from where you can join one of the many safaris going there for a 1 day excursion.
At the top of the hill is buried Cecil Rhodes, Zimbabwe's founder and national hero.
This hil was named "Malindidzimu" (dwelling place of the benevolent spirits) by natives, who considered it sacred till Rhodes and Co. came, threw them away, made it a National Park in its honour, and a majestic burial place for Mr. Rhodes...
The landscapes of the park are made basically of rocks, giving it the appearance of lunar surreal landscapes. From... more travel advice
Although the main attraction of the Park are the rock formations, there are many wild animals to be seen, specially the... more travel advice
SirRichard's Related Pages
Rhodes Matopos National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Safari day 3"
- "Ancient drawings and rhinos sanctuary"
- "Matobo Hills, An Unsual Landscape"
- "On the search for some Rhino"
- "Those round rocks..."
- "Matopos Photo Gallery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rhodes Matopos National Park
- Hotels in Rhodes Matopos National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Rhodes Matopos National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rhodes Matopos National Park
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Rhodes Matopos National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rhodes Matopos National Park
Photos in Rhodes Matopos National ParkSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues