"Goree, an oasis in the middle of the sea" Ile de Goree by SirRichard
Ile de Goree Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 192 photos
This is a tiny island just 45 minutes away from Dakar. It is widely known for being tha harbour from where the slaves for America left the african coast. Nevertheless, I didn't come here to see the Slaves Mansion, not to make the "slavery tour". I think that is something one has to do in private; besides, Goreee was not the main departure harbour of African slavery. It has only been chosen as a symbolic place to remember all the african slavery, but there are more reasons to visit the island...
Goree island is in fact a little village that you can visit by foot in about 10 minutes. But it's filled with gorgeous little colourful colonial houses, gardens, charming alleys and so peaceful... till the 10 o'clock ferry arrives with hundreds of tourists!
For me, the best way to enjoy Goreee is taking the 6:15 ferry from Dakar. When you arrive you are the only living soul in the village, alleys are desert and locals are still sleeping. You can woander the little streets and gardens in such an unreal atmosphere, feeling you are in the 19th century, with all those bouganvillae around...
At the north part of the island there is a slope with an old castle, from where you can have a nice view of the island... more travel advice
This is the house where the slaves were kept before the ships took them to America. Nowadays it¡s a museum where you can... more travel advice
SirRichard's Related Pages
Ile de Goree Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Slave-island close to Dakar"
- "Goree Island - Slave Island"
- "weekend in Île de Gorée"
- "Île de Gorée"
- "The Escape from Dakar!"
- "Goree, an oasis in the middle of the sea"
- "Goree Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ile de Goree
- Hotels in Ile de Goree
- Transportation in Ile de Goree
- Restaurants in Ile de Goree
- Shopping in Ile de Goree
- Warnings and Dangers in Ile de Goree
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ile de Goree
- 9 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Ile de Goree?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ile de Goree
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues