"A classic amongst travellers" Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu by SirRichard
Timbuktu Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 399 photos
Saying Timbuktu often takes you to dreaming of distant lands, inaccesible towns, 1001 nights... Timbuktu is a legendary city for its position in the middle of Africa, being an ancient mercantile crossroad and one of the last places reached by european explorers in Africa, due to its prohibition for non-mulims till recently.
But Timbuktu itself is no more than a few adobe houses and 3 mosques in the southern limit of the Sahara. Don't expect a mysterious place with palaces and charming markets. It is not a touristic place, there are just 3-4 hotels and a few restaurants, no souvenir shops, no tourist attractions. Many visitors get disappointed when they finally arrive, tough most say that the real attractive of Timbuktu is the way to get here, which is not easy neither short...
A popular activity here is to take a 2-3 days camel trip and sleep in a touareg tent inside the Sahara. It has something of a tourist trap, but is definetly a good experience if it's your first time in the desert...
- In a nutshell:Timbuktu is a state of mind :-)
COMANAV is the "Malian Company of Navigation". It has a big boat that sails the river from Koulikoro to Gao only in wet... more travel advice
The fastest overland way to get to Timbuktu is on a 4x4 vehicle. It is the most expensive, but will take tou there in 10... more travel advice
- See All Tailors
- See All Ethnological Museum
- See All The explorers houses
SirRichard's Related Pages
Timbuktu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Timbuktu, where the camel meets the canoe"
- "A classic amongst travellers"
- "I've been to Timbuktu, have you?"
- "Timbuktu, the forbidden city"
- "Timbuktu or bust"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Timbuktu
- Hotels in Timbuktu
- Transportation in Timbuktu
- Nightlife in Timbuktu
- Restaurants in Timbuktu
- Shopping in Timbuktu
- Warnings and Dangers in Timbuktu
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Timbuktu
- 21 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Timbuktu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Timbuktu
Photos in TimbuktuSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues