"I love cities with meaningful names" Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa by SirRichard
Addis Ababa Travel Guide: 393 reviews and 2,949 photos
Founded more than a century ago to be stablished as capital of the Ethiopian country, Addis does not look at first as a "new flower". It is indeed a chaotic dusty city but in the other hand it is a safe busy and bustling place in the highlands that surely deserves more time than a couple of days as arrival/departure hub.
In Addis, as in many african capitals you will find "capital" contrasts between the modern new areas and the tin huts around it.
Addis is a city of Ministries, the Ministery of Health, the Ministry of Commerce... huge avenues, wide and empty and also many many many bustling quarters with low buildings and high activity, markets, restaurants, taxis, minibuses.
I like walking and on my second day I decided to save on taxis and go from one side of the "centre" to the other walking. Man, it was a long walking, it took me more than 1,5 hours, walking along governmental avenues, endless gardens (closed to the public of course), monumental hotels (for foreigners, obviously) and infinite suburbian avenues till I found the restaurant I was heading for. It was about to close, Haha.
I found people in Addis friendly and helpful. Though not many, except some young people, speak fluent english, I always found people willing to help and nice with the visitor.
When I returned to Addis on the way back to take the place I made no reservation for hotels, just as I did all the way in my trip. BUT Addis hotels areoften full and there is not much offer. In my 3rd trial that night, I arrived to the Buffet de la Gare, they were full also, but the man in charge let me wait at the lobby (it was raining and I was carrying a heavy rucksack). He then asked me which range of hotel was I looking for. Made a couple of phone calls and he told me in the Lido they had place for one. Called a taxi 4 me and put me on the way to the Lido, which happened to be a really nice place.
That's hospitality, I Think!
Ethiopian are one of the best airlines in Africa, safe and reliable. Not the cheapest option to fly there from Europe.... more travel advice
This huge area is probably the biggest open air market in east Africa. The word comes from the italian word for... more travel advice
SirRichard's Related Pages
Addis Ababa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ADDIS - THE NEW FLOWER OF ETHIOPIA"
- "I love cities with meaningful names"
- "Addis Ababa, Ethiopia"
- "Addis Ababa: A City of Belief & Disbelief"
- "Addis Ababa"
- "ADDIS ABABA - not so 'new' flower"
- ""The New Flower" Addis Ababa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Addis Ababa
- Hotels in Addis Ababa
- Transportation in Addis Ababa
- Nightlife in Addis Ababa
- Restaurants in Addis Ababa
- Shopping in Addis Ababa
- Warnings and Dangers in Addis Ababa
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Addis Ababa
- 15 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Addis Ababa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Addis Ababa
- Posted in Travel Jerez de la Frontera Forum "Re: Walking around Jerez"
- Wrote a Review Ethiopian airlines in Addis Ababa Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ethiopian airlines"
- updated a Addis Ababa Travel Page "I love cities with meaningful names"
- Commented on one of sachara's Addis Ababa travel pages
Photos in Addis AbabaSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Addis Ababa hotel reviews
- Sheraton Addis
- 286 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Ghion Hotel
- 107 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Ras Hotel
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2013
- Dessalegn Hotel
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Beshale Hotel
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013
- Taitu Hotel
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Radisson Blu Hotel, Addis Ababa
- 120 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Jupiter International Hotel
- 167 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Damu Hotel
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 28, 2013
- Beer Garden Inn
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Kaleb Hotel
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 29, 2013
- Hotel Intercontinental
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Harmony Hotel
- 102 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Hilton Addis Ababa
- 354 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Baro Hotel
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013