"The town by the lake" Top 5 Page for this destination Bahir Dar by SirRichard
Bahir Dar Travel Guide: 187 reviews and 875 photos
Most tourists come to Bahir Dar for the Tis Abey (Blue Nile) falls and for the orthodox monasteries in the lake Tana. The town itself is not amazing but if you have a spare afternoon there are pleasant avenues with trees and some interesting shops here and there.
Bahir Dar is located in the north west, by the Lake Tana
There are a few interesting monasteries in the islands of Lake Tana. You can visit them on a daytrip from Bahir Dar. You can book the trip at any local agency or at the Ghion Hotel.
The main monasteries are Azuwa Maryam, Kebran Gabriel and Entosi Eyesu. You can do all 3 in a halfday trip. If you wanna see more monasteries count on a whole day.
Also know as Blue Nile Falls, these falls are located at the beginning of the Blue Nile (that later joins the White Nile in Jartun to become the Great Nile). The river starts in Lake Tana and after 30 kms it forms these amazing beautiful falls.
The rainy season is a good time to visit, as there is a lot of water (see pic) though the "blue nile" is more brownish than blue.
If you choose to come here by bus, count on 1 or 2 incidents on the way. The roads, mostly unpaved, are horrible,... more travel advice
The Blue Nile Falls are one of the highlights here. They are one of the main falls in all Africa and, specially in rainy... more travel advice
SirRichard's Related Pages
Bahir Dar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bahir Dar, Lake Tana and Blue Nile Falls"
- "THE dreamed Riviera"
- "LAKE MONASTERIES"
- "The town by the lake"
- "Bahir Dar"
- "Ethiopia's riviera"
- "Lovely town by the lake..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bahir Dar
- Hotels in Bahir Dar
- Transportation in Bahir Dar
- Restaurants in Bahir Dar
- Shopping in Bahir Dar
- Warnings and Dangers in Bahir Dar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bahir Dar
- 18 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Bahir Dar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bahir Dar
Photos in Bahir DarSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues