"The most italian Greek Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Kerkyra (Corfu) by SirRichard
Prefecture of Kerkyra (Corfu) Travel Guide: 1,050 reviews and 2,947 photos
Corfu island's capital (also named Corfu or Kerkyra in greek) is for me one of the most charming places in Greece, though is not the typical greek city at all.
Located in the Ionian Sea between Italy and Greece, it has been historically more Venetian than Greek, and that is reflected in its architecture, nomuments and narrow streets. Walking around the town you get the feeling of being in Napoli, Palermo or any souther Italy town...
As many other Ionian Greek Islands, Corfu is green and fertile. I went around the island by bus, in search of the places where once lived the english writer Gerald Durrell with his family after they moved here from England in the early 20th century.
That period of their lifes is wonderfully described in his trilogy of books "My Family and Other Animals", "Birds, Beasts and Relatives" and "The Garden of the Gods".
I first knew about Corfu through the Durrells books, Gerald and his brother Lawrence lived here long periods of their lifes and wrote a few books about the island. So I supposed there should be some kind of "Durrells Trail" or so, to follow the landmarks where these british men lived and wrote, but I was surprised to find that none in the island knew a word about them. Thanx to some info I found in the internet I was able to look for some of the villas where they lived, but none of them is currently open to public, as they are privetly owned.
Only the white house where Larry wrote "Prospero's Cell" is now turned into a fish restaurant in Kalami and may be visited.
Ferries are one of the best ways to get to/from Corfu. Being in the main route between Greece andtaly, most of the... more travel advice
Once part of the local Fortress, this big grass extension is a local meeting point, a place to see and be seen, mostly... more travel advice
SirRichard's Related Pages
Prefecture of Kerkyra (Corfu) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Corfù / Kerkyra - the green corner of Greece"
- "The most italian Greek Island"
- "FUN IN THE SUN"
- "GRANT IN CORFU."
- "Magical CORFU"
- "Corfu ,Dassia 03"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prefecture of Kerkyra (Corfu)
- Hotels in Prefecture of Kerkyra (Corfu)
- Transportation in Prefecture of Kerkyra (Corfu)
- Nightlife in Prefecture of Kerkyra (Corfu)
- Restaurants in Prefecture of Kerkyra (Corfu)
- Shopping in Prefecture of Kerkyra (Corfu)
- Warnings and Dangers in Prefecture of Kerkyra (Corfu)
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prefecture of Kerkyra (Corfu)
- 15 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Prefecture of Kerkyra (Corfu)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prefecture of Kerkyra (Corfu)
Photos in Prefecture of Kerkyra (Corfu)See All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues