"Didyma, Milet & Priene" Top 5 Page for this destination Didyma by SirRichard

Didyma Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 91 photos

This page contains info about 3 archeological sites that are all very close, at the south-east extreme of the turkish mediterranean coast, between Selcuk and Bodrum:
- Priene, an ancient city in a beautiful scenery.
- Milet, birthplace of many famous scientists and thinkers
- Didyma, with its magnificient Apollo Temple.

Didyma

Didyma is famous for having been the main oracle in Asia Minor (only 2nd after Delphi in Greece) and for its huge Apollo Temple.
It's weird to find such a magnificient archeological site inside a town (Yenihisar). In fact, is all surrounded by buildings and you can have lunch at a terrace with this marvellous background.

Priene & Milet

Priene's ruins are located at the slope of a mountain, close to the Samsun Dagi Park. Its straight streets and magnificient scenery make this spot a place to enjoy.
Milet's main highlights are the Theatre and the Ionic Stoa, the only remains of a huge atrium with a few columns still standing.

• Last visit to Didyma: Aug 1992

May 23, 2006 at 4:33 AM

I like your Turkey pages, I spent lots of time in Didyma in summer

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2004 at 5:26 AM

That is what I like in Turkey. Not that many tourist find their way to those interesting places. Maybe one day I'll send you the pictures when I send my friend up there to take them. ;-)

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2004 at 1:31 AM

I haven't been to any of these places. Maybe I should include them in my next visit to Turkey. Nice tips and photos!

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2003 at 7:24 AM

Based on your pictures, it seems it would be easy to visualize what this place probably looked like in its prime. Great page.

• Lalique's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2003 at 6:39 AM

Joaquin, we did the same route, even the beach :))) thought we failed to see Priene, were dreadfuly short of time, but thanx to you, now I've done it! :))

SirRichard