"Troy is a place on your mind" Top 5 Page for this destination Troy by SirRichard

Troy Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 377 photos

Location

Troy was located at the entrance of the Dardanelos straight, the entrance gate to the Black Sea, and a major commercial route.
Through this water way came most of the cereals consumed in Europe by the 2 millenium BC. That could have been the "prosaic" reason for a war for the control of this place... and not Helen's Rape (though this one is more romantic!)

The ruins

I went to Troy at the beginning of a trip from Istambul to Marmaris, all along the western mediterranean coast of Turkey. I had always been curious about this place after reading the Illiad, and I must admit it disappointed me :-(
There's not much left, your imagination has to work hard. You have to have read the book for really finding a meaning to this visit.
Besides, the beaches where the "black vessels" were parked don't exist anymore, as the sea has gone back some kilometres in all this years

A cultural reference

Troya is a basic cultural reference in the western culture. Since Homer put that story into our minds, Troy has lived for us and its imagery is part of our everyday life.

• Last visit to Troy: Aug 1992