"Islands and hopes (island hopping)" Croatia by SirRichard

Croatia Travel Guide: 13,236 reviews and 36,398 photos

My trip

I started my trip in Venice, as flights there from madrid were much cheaper with low-cost companies.
From there I did:
- Venice-Pula by bus. 2 days in Pula, visiting some Istria peninsula locations (Porec and Rovinj)
- Pula-Rijeka. 2 days in Rijeka, visiting Opatija 1 day.
- Rijeka-Krk. 2 days in Krk island.
- Krk-Rab. 1 day in Rab islan.
- Back to the continent, Zadar. Visited the Kornati islands.
- Zadar-Sibenik by bus. Visited the Krka Nat.Park
- Sibenik-Split. 2 days in Split.
- Ferry to Dubrovnik.
- Last 2 days in Zagreb, visiting Karlovac.

Split

In spite of world famous (and overcrowded to my opinion) DUBROVNIK, my favourite city in Croatia was undoubtely SPLIT. Its main attraction is the unique-in-the-world city center, an updated ROMAN city where old temples and forums mix with today buildings, restaurant, charming alleys and hotels. As far as I know this is the only place where you can actually "live" inside a roman city and somehow imagine how daily life could be at those times.
Besides, Split is a lovely laid-out mediterranean city with a lively harbour and is a maritime hub for most of the ferries.

The coast

It seemed to me that Croatia has 2 different "sceneries", quite diverse in landscapes, architecture, people, food...:
- All the COAST is mediterranean, venetian style, with incredible islands and cozy little villages.
- INLAND you will find a more "centro-european" country, more similar to Hungary or Austria than to Italy or Greece.
I travelled along the coast all the time, except for a short trip to Zagreb and surroundings.

• Last visit to Croatia: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Jan 17, 2008

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Enjoyed re-visiting both Croatia and this page - and totally agree with you about Split - a much-under-estimated city and my Dalmatian favourite. leyle

• Fantasmine's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2009 at 2:55 AM

Gracias por tus consejos, gracias a ti fuimos a Croacia y la pasamos muy bien. Un abrazo,

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2008 at 1:09 AM

Thanks.Really enjoyed this. I detest restaurant touts and make a point of never eating where they are!

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2008 at 2:28 PM

I couldn't agree more about Split and Zagreb. You managed to see most of the "must sees" of Croatia. (Btw. I'm not sure people of Rovinj and Porec would be happy to see you called their towns - villages ;)

• Irine_29's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Only YOU could take a closet as room :P

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2008 at 9:24 AM

Krka waterfall are really wonderful. I went there some years ago. Ciao!

SirRichard

“When in doubt, move!”

Badges & Stats in Croatia

Have you been to Croatia?

Latest Activity in Croatia