"Islands and hopes (island hopping)" Croatia by SirRichard
Croatia Travel Guide: 13,236 reviews and 36,398 photos
I started my trip in Venice, as flights there from madrid were much cheaper with low-cost companies.
From there I did:
- Venice-Pula by bus. 2 days in Pula, visiting some Istria peninsula locations (Porec and Rovinj)
- Pula-Rijeka. 2 days in Rijeka, visiting Opatija 1 day.
- Rijeka-Krk. 2 days in Krk island.
- Krk-Rab. 1 day in Rab islan.
- Back to the continent, Zadar. Visited the Kornati islands.
- Zadar-Sibenik by bus. Visited the Krka Nat.Park
- Sibenik-Split. 2 days in Split.
- Ferry to Dubrovnik.
- Last 2 days in Zagreb, visiting Karlovac.
In spite of world famous (and overcrowded to my opinion) DUBROVNIK, my favourite city in Croatia was undoubtely SPLIT. Its main attraction is the unique-in-the-world city center, an updated ROMAN city where old temples and forums mix with today buildings, restaurant, charming alleys and hotels. As far as I know this is the only place where you can actually "live" inside a roman city and somehow imagine how daily life could be at those times.
Besides, Split is a lovely laid-out mediterranean city with a lively harbour and is a maritime hub for most of the ferries.
It seemed to me that Croatia has 2 different "sceneries", quite diverse in landscapes, architecture, people, food...:
- All the COAST is mediterranean, venetian style, with incredible islands and cozy little villages.
- INLAND you will find a more "centro-european" country, more similar to Hungary or Austria than to Italy or Greece.
I travelled along the coast all the time, except for a short trip to Zagreb and surroundings.
Zadar's center is located in an island with a recently refurbished seaside walk. This plasanr area gives you the... more travel advice
Rijeka is not exactly a city filled with restaurants. There are some, but not many. This cafe turned out to be a good... more travel advice
SirRichard's Related Pages
Croatia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY CROATIA"
- "Idyllic Croatia"
- "Hrvatska for Europe!"
- "Croatia - the summary of Europe."
- "A road trip through Croatia"
- "Natural Beauty and Stunning History"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Croatia
- Hotels in Croatia
- Transportation in Croatia
- Nightlife in Croatia
- Restaurants in Croatia
- Shopping in Croatia
- Warnings and Dangers in Croatia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Croatia
- 34 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Croatia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Croatia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues