"The center of the Empire" Top 5 Page for this destination Cusco by SirRichard
Cusco Travel Guide: 1,088 reviews and 2,369 photos
Cuzco (also known as Cusco) was the capital of the Tahuantinsuyo, what we know as "Inca Empire", though this word Inca means "king", so is used wrong when refering to that culture. This empire was spread from nowadays Colombia to Chile, all along the Andes and reached its peak in the 15th century, just before Spanish "conquerors" arrived in 1531 and extinguished it.
Anyway, if you wanna visit the (let's call it) INCA culture, Cuzco should be your basecamp. From here you can visit the ruins of the Sacre Valley, Machu Picchu and some remains you will find around the town.
Cuzco's heart is the "Plaza de Armas" where you can find the Cathedral and the "Compañía de Jesús" church, among other remarkable buildings. Cuzco's historical center can be visited by foot, but there are many slopes and stairs, so take it easy.
As Cuzco is located at 3.326 meters above the sea level, if you arrive by plane, you must count on 2-3 days to get used to altitude. In those days, you have to take it easy, real slow. Otherwise, you will suffer "soroche", the altitude sickness.
I spent 2 days here before starting the Inca Trail. Had a little headache on those 2 days, but the 3rd day I was in gear again, ready for the trekking! Drinking or chewing coca leaves may help though...
If you want to do the Inca Trail, you have to book in advance, at least 2 months before, as the entrance to the Park... more travel advice
Local people use to chew coca leaf here, or drink it like coca tea. Coca is not cocaine (though the drug comes from the... more travel advice
- See All The church of the Society of Jesus
- See All Inquisition
- See All The view from Hostal Resbalosa
- See All Hostal Resbalosa
SirRichard's Related Pages
Cusco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cusco and the Sacred Valley"
- "The center of the Empire"
- "The "special" shine in Cusco"
- "Cusco - "Navel of the Earth""
- "A window on Cuzco"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cusco
- Hotels in Cusco
- Transportation in Cusco
- Nightlife in Cusco
- Restaurants in Cusco
- Shopping in Cusco
- Warnings and Dangers in Cusco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cusco
- 27 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Cusco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cusco
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues