"The Peruvian Amazon capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Iquitos by SirRichard
Iquitos Travel Guide: 135 reviews and 301 photos
For most travelers, the Amazon Jungle is the main reason to come to Iquitos. The city is located in the north of Peru, by the shore of the mighty Amazon river, and there are plenty of Jungle Lodges that offer 4-7 days trips of adventure/relax into the jungle, from single guided ones with tents to luxurious lodges with A/C.
The rule is: the further from Iquitos the more wildlife you will see!
Another touristic spot here is the "floating" quarter of Belen. Located south of Iquitos, the so called "Peruvian Venice", is more a poor wooden huts neighborhood than a "Venice". Built by the shores of the Amazon, the floods turn its muddy streets into canals as the waters rise.
Anyway, is interesting to visit its colurful chaotic market and have a guided canoe tour around, as you see people in their daily life activities around.
Iquitos is the main city in the Amazon peruvian area. Founded in 1750 by jesuit missioners, the village soon became the centre of the once incredible caoutchoc business. Big mansions were built in the 19th century, and a river "aristocracy" grew here. Famous architects were comissioned importants projects here: Eiffel (Yes, the one of the Tower) built here the famous Iron Mansion...
But all that is past and now Iquitos is a big tranquile city in the jungle, with beautiful tiled 1 storey houses.
It's the biggest city in earth that can't be reached by road. There is only boat/plane access, so flying from Lima is the best option for most travelers to come.
As there are no roads leaving Iquitos (all is jungle around) there are very few cars here, just motorbikes and trucks.... more travel advice
If you arrive or leave during daylight, ask for a window seat in the plane. The views of the Amazon river from the air... more travel advice
SirRichard's Related Pages
Iquitos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Peruvian Amazon capital"
- "Iquitos, Peru's Amazon city"
- "Iquitos and Amazon"
- "Iquitos, Gateway to the Amazon"
- "Iquitos, the town in the middle of the jungle"
- "fashinating iquitos"
- "Iquitos Queen of the Amazon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iquitos
- Hotels in Iquitos
- Transportation in Iquitos
- Nightlife in Iquitos
- Restaurants in Iquitos
- Shopping in Iquitos
- Warnings and Dangers in Iquitos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Iquitos
- 26 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Iquitos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iquitos
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues