"A charming piece of History" Top 5 Page for this destination Hoi An by SirRichard
Hoi An Travel Guide: 816 reviews and 1,754 photos
Hoi An is one of the most charming towns in Vietnam, and probably the one that mantains untouched the feeling of "old times", as most of the cities in Vietnam have somehow been affected by recent wars...
It is located in the mid coast, 30 kms south of Danang.
There are many hotels and restaurants, and the old centre is am easily walkable area, closed to traffic and a very romantic place too ;-)
Hoi An was one of the main ports of SE Asia since the 17th century. At the same range as Macau, Melaka... this spot was a main stop for Dutch, Portuguese, Chines and Japanese vessels till the end of the 19th century.
It has been recently declared a UNESCO World Heritage site, so it is well preserved and restored.
All the city old center is considered like a natural size museum. They have an original visiting system:
You can walk around the streets on your own, but if you want to visit any of the museums, private shrines, public buildings... you have to buy a ticket that allows you to visit 1 museum, 1 old house, 1 Assembly Hall and 1 traditional arts center.
If you wanna visit (let's say) 3 museums and nothing else you will have to buy anyway 3 tickets books!!!
Hoi An is located very near to the Cua Dai fine sand palm lined beach. The beach is just 5 kms away from the center of... more travel advice
I arrived and left the place on one of those "hop on- hop off" buses that go along the coast of Vietnam, from Saigon to... more travel advice
SirRichard's Related Pages
Hoi An Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On the Embodiment of Vietnam: Hoi An"
- "Hoi An 22/3/08 to 25/3/08"
- "A charming piece of History"
- "UNESCO HERITAGE Site..a Vietnamese HIGHLIGHT..."
- "The old town of Hoi An"
- "A living museum - Hoi An, Central Vietnam"
- "Vietnam's Living Museum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hoi An
- Hotels in Hoi An
- Transportation in Hoi An
- Nightlife in Hoi An
- Restaurants in Hoi An
- Shopping in Hoi An
- Warnings and Dangers in Hoi An
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hoi An
- 25 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Hoi An?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hoi An
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues