"The Vietnamese Imperial City" Top 5 Page for this destination Hue by SirRichard
Hue Travel Guide: 623 reviews and 1,726 photos
Hue is a medium size city located in the coast, at about the middle of Vietnam, near Danang.
Its main touristic interest comes from the Imperial Nguyen Tombs, the Citadel (former Imperial Palace) and the Perfume river.
It reminds somehow several landmarks of Beijing (Ming Tombs, Forbidden City...) so if you have been there before, you will have a sense of "deja vu", only in a smaller size and not so well preserved.
Apart from that, Hue has not much to offer to the visitor, but is a main transport hub, so you will pass by sooner or later.
The Imperial past of the city has left some important landmarks.
Most of them were abandoned during the 1975-1990 period (after the Reunification) as signs of a "feudal dinastic power", which was not politically correct at that times.
After being declared "UNESCO World Heritage Site", Hue city has realized the economic importance of restoring sites (improving tourism and incomes at the same time) and a huge restoration labour is being held.
The Perfume River divides the city in 2:
- The North side is the old part, including mostly the Citadel, museums, palaces...
- The South side where the modern city is.
There are boat tours by the river stopping on the way to visit the many Nguyen Tombs along the river.
I arrived in Hue with the Camel Tours bus, a hop on. hop off bus. more travel advice
This small pavillion houses a Stone Tablet (20 tonnes) in which Tu Duc engraved a brief autobiography, writing about... more travel advice
SirRichard's Related Pages
Hue Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HUE & SURROUNDS ARE INTERESTING!"
- "the capital of the Nguyễn Lords"
- "The Vietnamese Imperial City"
- "Ancient Capital"
- "IMPERIAL HUE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hue
- Hotels in Hue
- Transportation in Hue
- Nightlife in Hue
- Restaurants in Hue
- Shopping in Hue
- Warnings and Dangers in Hue
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hue
- 17 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Hue?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hue
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues