Ho Chi Minh City Favorite Tips by SirRichard Top 5 Page for this destination
Ho Chi Minh City Favorites: 176 reviews and 237 photos
The city centre
Favorite thing: Saigon' heart is located between the Le Loi Ave and the river. There you have the 2 main hotels (Rex & Continental), many restaurants and souvenir shops at Dong Khoi street (the one from Caravelle Hotel to the river).
If you follow Le Loi to the west, in 10 minutes you arrive to the Pham Ngu Lao area, full of backpackers Guesthouses, travel agencies and local restaurants.
US war machines at the Museum
Favorite thing: When I came to Vietnam I was afraid to find a country with deep traumas about its recent wars and so. Well, I really didn't chat deeply about that with any local, but what I felt at the streets was that that period was over and now war was just a Museums topic, and sometimes a tourist attraction, like thos evisits to the CuChi Tunnels where the Vietcong used to hide.
After winning the War, this country seems to have won the Peace too. Good luck, Vietnam!
Some strange fruits
Favorite thing: You will find many strange local fruits here: lychee, papaya, jackfruit?
But the weirdest of them all was the DURIAN, a very large fruti, the size of a football ball, all covered with sharp spikes. It is said to be the tastiest of all (I didn? try it) but it smells like hell!! Once U open it, the smell is so disgusting that is even forbidden in public places like hotels, planes, buses? it is said it would be imposible to remain in a, let?s say, bus all the traject after one of these durians has been opened inside?
A chinese building
Favorite thing: Neither in the Cholon (Chinese) District found I the nice old atmosphere I was waiting for. Only in a few corners (like this) you could find the old charming architecture I though was so characteristic in Saigon...
A Government building, north of Notre Dame
Favorite thing: There were not as many colonial remants as I expected in Saigon. I tried hard, but all I found was a few buildings in the area of the Embassies, in the north of the Dong Khoi Central area.
It was not as in the "Indochine" or "The Quiet american" films, but the ones left were nice...
Favorite thing: Here are 2 signs of recent Saigon's ID:
- The Continental Hotel, dating from the turn of the 19th century, scenery of a lot of scenes of the famous Graham Greene's novel The Quiet American, a real classic of the city, in spite of the awful renovation made in 1989 by "Saigon Tourist".
- Women in the classical vietnamese dress, U don't see these too often, just in few special occasions...
More Reviews (31)
- See All Net Cafe Pasteur
- See All Thanh Binh Restaurant
- Snakes in the Mekong Delta
- See All Rex Hotel
- See All The Ho Chi Minh portrait
SirRichard's Related Pages
Ho Chi Minh City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saigon Saigon !"
- "IMPREXXION: HO CHI MINH CITY"
- "Former Saigon"
- "Ho Chi Minh City 29/3/08 - 3/4/08"
- "Lost in Saigon!?"
- "Ho Chin Minh City, the new Saigon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ho Chi Minh City
- Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
- Transportation in Ho Chi Minh City
- Nightlife in Ho Chi Minh City
- Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
- Shopping in Ho Chi Minh City
- Warnings and Dangers in Ho Chi Minh City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ho Chi Minh City
- 37 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Ho Chi Minh City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ho Chi Minh City
Photos in Ho Chi Minh CitySee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ben Thanh Market- 69 Reviews, 130 Photos
- Out of Saigon - Cu Chi Tunnels- 102 Reviews, 221 Photos
- War Remnants Museum- 102 Reviews, 211 Photos
- Mekong Delta- 67 Reviews, 156 Photos
- Reunification Palace- 78 Reviews, 184 Photos
- Post Office- 63 Reviews, 138 Photos
- Notre Dame Cathedral- 74 Reviews, 148 Photos
- Chinatown- 33 Reviews, 40 Photos
- City Hall- 38 Reviews, 65 Photos
- Temples- 15 Reviews, 38 Photos
See All Ho Chi Minh City Things to Do