"Samarkand, a tale city" Samarkand by SirRichard
Samarkand Travel Guide: 308 reviews and 908 photos
Samarkand is one of the mithic cities of the SILK ROAD, a city you imagine when reading the "1001 nights" tales.
We stopped there during a tour following places of the Silk Road, from Samarkand to Xian.
At that times (1991) it was still URSS, but the feeling was truly muslim, desertic...
Tiles are one of the things I remember the most of this city. Most of the mosques have facades beautifully adorned with blue and green mosaics and tiles, many with figurative motifs, something rather unusual in the muslim art.
Uzbeks are a really warm and friendly people, though here the language is a barrier, as they spoke little (if any) english, at least in 1991...
At that time (1991) you could still see soviet billboards and posters in the streets, I guess now all that has gone... more travel advice
Samarkand food market is an interesting place to wander around and see some local life. The best time to go is early in... more travel advice
SirRichard's Related Pages
Samarkand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mirror of the World,"
- "Take the Golden Road to Samarqand"
- "Samarkand - Central Asia's Eternal Beauty"
- "Splendour of the Silk Road"
- "Magical City"
- "Samarkand, a tale city"
- "Crossroads of Cultures"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Samarkand
- Hotels in Samarkand
- Transportation in Samarkand
- Nightlife in Samarkand
- Restaurants in Samarkand
- Shopping in Samarkand
- Warnings and Dangers in Samarkand
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Samarkand
- 18 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Samarkand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Samarkand
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues