"Samarkand, a tale city" Samarkand by SirRichard

Samarkand Travel Guide: 308 reviews and 908 photos

Samarkand is one of the mithic cities of the SILK ROAD, a city you imagine when reading the "1001 nights" tales.
We stopped there during a tour following places of the Silk Road, from Samarkand to Xian.
At that times (1991) it was still URSS, but the feeling was truly muslim, desertic...

Tiles and mosques

Tiles are one of the things I remember the most of this city. Most of the mosques have facades beautifully adorned with blue and green mosaics and tiles, many with figurative motifs, something rather unusual in the muslim art.

The people

Uzbeks are a really warm and friendly people, though here the language is a barrier, as they spoke little (if any) english, at least in 1991...

• Last visit to Samarkand: Aug 1991
  • Intro Updated Nov 19, 2004

• Jul 7, 2009 at 7:35 PM

look how young you are here... your hair is still dark! lol ;-P now you are just 'viejo'. hahaha. im going here next year and i cannot wait! great page sir!

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2005 at 2:53 AM

Great pages J! Happy travels, Blu

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2003 at 7:21 PM

Wow ... and I only read about Samarkand in novels .... thank you for the glimpse :-)

• maryamy's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2003 at 1:43 PM

Great page! Did you know that Samarkand was once part of Persia and one stupid king gave it away as compensation, for he fought uselessly against the might Russian army of the time?

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2003 at 10:11 AM

The Mosque at Registan Square is truly amazing! Only Hot water!! That is really weird! Samarkand sounds like it is off the beaten path! Anything on the Silk Road is so Exotic!

• Bonobo2005's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2003 at 12:49 AM

I love that teahouses, great tips!

• titti's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2003 at 1:58 PM

Registan square...I could have been sitting there for days...

• cadzand's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2003 at 9:37 AM

I hope one day I could visit. Those beautiful buildings really fascinate me.

• dabuwan's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2003 at 9:58 AM

Excellent page about one of my dream destinations. I hope I'll visit one day.

• heplion's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2003 at 3:57 AM

I was here recently. I thought that there was much beautiful archetecture here....

SirRichard

“When in doubt, move!”

Badges & Stats in Samarkand

Have you been to Samarkand?

Latest Activity in Samarkand