Bangkok Local Custom Tips by SirRichard
Bangkok Local Customs: 343 reviews and 460 photos
Money and Buddha
In some shrines and altars you can find bank notes hanging in sticks. I guess it must be to attract good luck about financial aspects, some business in mind, lottery or so...
A Golden Monk
These golden statues of old monks that you can find in some Bangkok Temples have always amazed me. The first time I saw one I had to look very very close to find out if it was a HUMAN BEING painted in gold!! They are soooo realistic, in shape, size, details...
People use to cover them with little gold sheets that they buy as offerings, so they look kind of "patch-work" in gold!
Me & Winston
Thai people are nice, friendly and (almost) always smiling. They are really kind, as I could see after meeting some VT members from Bangkok.
In the pic you can see me with Winston the day after I arrived.
I have never deeply understood all those buddhist ceremonies, but when I visit the temples I like to sit aside and watch the locals come in, prepare the incense and the flowers, put it in place, bend, pray, mutter, look up, bend again, put their shoes on and go...
I have always wonder what do they pray for... Health? Love? Fortune? and who do they pray to?... the same God (at the end)?
A little shrine
In the small streets and alleys you will find often little private shrines with small statues of Gods and offerings like flowers, incense and so...
This charming wonderful violet flowers can be found in Bangkok in many public gardens and even in some hotels gardens. In Spain we don't use to see such rare flowers often, so it surprised me a lot to find them so frequently here. You could even buy a whole bunch of them by the streets for about 1 USD!!
A golden statue
In many temples you will see seated golden statues covered all over with little golden shhets. These sheets can be bought at the entrance of the temple and be offered to the statues that represent old holy monks.
They put the golden sheets over the statues, covering them all over with gold...
A thai keyboard
If typing in a cybercafe keyboard is a hard task, typing in a Thai one is even more difficult!!
They've got all those "wierd" ;-))) signs on and not all the keys are in the right place... it gets some time to get used to it, LOL
More Reviews (58)
- See All Seafood Market
- August: monsoon
- See All Street artists in Chinatown
- See All Wat Arun
- See All The Atlanta
- See All The Tuktuks
SirRichard's Related Pages
Bangkok Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bangkok, Krung Thep - The best of"
- "tHe Bangkok in my mind.."
- "Heightened Senses X 2"
- "Bangkok - Which Means "Straw Hat!""
- "Links to Street Maps: Finding Your Way"
- "Fantastic Bangkok"
- "One of my favorite cities in Asia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bangkok
- Hotels in Bangkok
- Transportation in Bangkok
- Nightlife in Bangkok
- Restaurants in Bangkok
- Shopping in Bangkok
- Warnings and Dangers in Bangkok
- See All...
Explore the World
- Castelo Branco
- Schloss Hohenwerfen Hotels
- Bishops Stortford
- Mokuleia Hotels
- Berovsko Ezero Hotels
- Kinsley Hotels
Badges & Stats in Bangkok
- 66 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 65 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Bangkok?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bangkok
- Posted in Travel Jerez de la Frontera Forum "Re: Walking around Jerez"
- Wrote a Review Seafood Market about Seafood Market and Restaurant in Bangkok Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Money for the Gods"
- updated a Bangkok Travel Page "The rushing orient"
- Commented on one of Sharon's Bangkok travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Bangkok hotel reviews
- Elegance Suites
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 29, 2012
- White Palace Hotel
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Sam Sen Sam Place
- 122 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Thai House Inn
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2012
- Bangkok Boutique
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 2, 2013
- Centre Point Langsuan
- 103 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Sawasdee Krungthep Inn Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Baan Thai Wellness Retreat
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 29, 2006
- New Empire Hotel
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 16, 2013
- Kantary House
- 70 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 9, 2013
- For You Residence
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Bangkok Cha-Da Hotel
- 119 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 18, 2013
- Hope Land Executive Serviced Apartment
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Grand Palace - Wat Phra Kaew- 396 Reviews, 760 Photos
- Floating Market- 119 Reviews, 231 Photos
- Wat Pho- 219 Reviews, 450 Photos
- Wat Arun - Temple of the Dawn- 154 Reviews, 297 Photos
- Chatuchak Weekend Market- 105 Reviews, 157 Photos
- Traditional Thai massage- 48 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Chao Phraya River- 108 Reviews, 201 Photos
- Wat Traimit - Temple of the Golden Buddha- 63 Reviews, 123 Photos
- Ayuthaya - Old City- 50 Reviews, 112 Photos
- Baiyoke Tower- 27 Reviews, 79 Photos
See All Bangkok Things to Do