Bangkok Favorite Tips by SirRichard
Bangkok Favorites: 606 reviews and 758 photos
The main areas
Favorite thing: Bangkok is a huge city with many different areas which are not a walkable distance from one another. You can walk around the same area, but if you wanna move from one to another, you better take a tuktuk (don't pay more than 100 Bahts for any ride inside BKK), BTS or a taxi...
The main areas you will visit are:
- The Royal Palace and temples around it. By the riverside.
- Chinatown. Also by the riverside, but more southern.
- Siam Centre. The heart of the modern city. Shopping Malls.
- Sukhumvit. An area full of restaurants and medium accomodation.
- Khao San Road. The backpackers' Paradise!
Me and Paloma
Favorite thing: Located south of the Dusit Zoo, this temple is famous for its Italian marble floors and walls. The interior is richly decorated and it host a large collection of bronze Buddha as well as a turtles pond. Open daily 9 to 17.
The Buddha from the feet
Favorite thing: One of the oldest & largest temple of Bangkok(tough maybe too touristic now), it houses a 46m gold plated reclining Buddha. It is so big that U can never see it entirely, as it is inside a building and the walls are to close to see it with good perspective. The only way to seee the whole statue is from the feet, in a very extrene perspective...
There is a massage school here, and they give masages for about 3-4 USD. Ask at the ticket office.
Favorite thing: A highly recommended activity on Saturdays and Sundays, from 8am to 8pm. To get there use the new BTS sky train: take Sukhumwit Line, stop at Mor Chit Station, (the last one) and ask as you go out the station . A typicall oriental market, having from handicraft to all kinds of animas, food, clothes or plants...
Favorite thing: The Grand Palace is a must for any tourist in Bangkok. It's a huge area so reserve at least one whole morning for it: palaces, temples, gardens.... What impressed me most was the highly decorated buildings and the thousands of statues all around. Take a look at impressive Thai-style roofs...
Tickets for B200 (includes a ticket to Vimanmek Royal Mansion). Visitors must wear shoes, long pants / skirts (some ugly ones are available at entrance) and have the shoulders covered. Open daily from 8:30 to 15:30.
More Reviews (61)
- See All Seafood Market
- See All Money for the Gods
- August: monsoon
- See All Street artists in Chinatown
- See All Wat Arun
- See All The Atlanta
SirRichard's Related Pages
Bangkok Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bangkok, Krung Thep - The best of"
- "tHe Bangkok in my mind.."
- "Heightened Senses X 2"
- "Bangkok - Which Means "Straw Hat!""
- "Links to Street Maps: Finding Your Way"
- "Fantastic Bangkok"
- "One of my favorite cities in Asia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bangkok
- Hotels in Bangkok
- Transportation in Bangkok
- Nightlife in Bangkok
- Restaurants in Bangkok
- Shopping in Bangkok
- Warnings and Dangers in Bangkok
- See All...
Explore the World
- Tagaytay City
- Sentul Hotels
- Auckland Hotels
- Kuala Lumpur
- Nairobi Hotels
- Lagos Hotels
- Pymatuning State Park Hotels
- West Palm Beach Hotels
- Kempas Hotels
- Rangoon Hotels
- Puerto Princesa
- Kalpakkam Hotels
Badges & Stats in Bangkok
- 66 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 65 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Bangkok?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bangkok
- Posted in Travel Jerez de la Frontera Forum "Re: Walking around Jerez"
- Wrote a Review Seafood Market about Seafood Market and Restaurant in Bangkok Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Money for the Gods"
- updated a Bangkok Travel Page "The rushing orient"
- Commented on one of Sharon's Bangkok travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Bangkok hotel reviews
- Miracle Grand Convention Hotel Bangkok
- 80 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Citadines Bangkok Sukhumvit 8
- 198 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Jim's Lodge Bangkok
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 27, 2013
- Nanatai Mansion
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 21, 2013
- Hotel Solo Sukhumvit 2
- 169 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Hotel De Moc
- 156 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel
- 585 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- YHA Bangkok Downtown
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013
- Reno Hotel
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 24, 2013
- Convenient Resort
- 187 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- The Inn Saladaeng
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Krung Kasem Sri Krung Hotel
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 6, 2013
- Grand Palace - Wat Phra Kaew- 394 Reviews, 748 Photos
- Floating Market- 116 Reviews, 225 Photos
- Wat Arun - Temple of the Dawn- 151 Reviews, 286 Photos
- Chatuchak Weekend Market- 105 Reviews, 157 Photos
- Wat Pho- 217 Reviews, 439 Photos
- Traditional Thai massage- 48 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Chao Phraya River- 107 Reviews, 196 Photos
- Ayuthaya - Old City- 50 Reviews, 112 Photos
- Baiyoke Tower- 27 Reviews, 79 Photos
- Wat Traimit - Temple of the Golden Buddha- 61 Reviews, 117 Photos
See All Bangkok Things to Do