Luang Prabang Transportation Tips by SirRichard Top 5 Page for this destination
Luang Prabang Transportation: 67 reviews and 80 photos
A stop for lunch
There are at least 3 daily buses from Vientiane to LP. The first one leaves at 7:30. It takes 9 hours to get to LP, as the road (paved, one of the few in Laos) is narrow and twisted (though there is practically no traffic).
The trip is long and there are no night buses, but is cheap (about 6 USD I think). It stops in Vianvieng too on the way.
the 2 kinds
If you wanna go out of LP by boat, there are mainly 2 kinds:
- Slow Boats, the traditional ones.
- Speed Boats, modern powerful off-shore motors.
With both you can go up the river to the Thai border or down the river to Vientiane.
The slow boats do this in 3-4 days, they take their time and have frequent stops. Take your own food if you choose this, as there is not always restaurants on the way.
The speed boats are HIGHLY DANGEROUS, as they go fast as hell by the river, and the Mekong is a dangerous river. You have to wear a helmet in these, and is kind of extreme sport. They do the same routes in 8-9 hours!!!! so imagine...
Jumbos are the laosian "Tuk Tuks". They have place for up to 8 persons, so don't be surprised if in the middle of the ride the driver stops and gets a few more customers.
Distances in LP are very walkable, but you might get one to go to the bus station (about 10.000) or to the airport (same price).
Some of them offer also daytrips to the caves or waterfalls. Bargain the price before.
Type: Car/Motor Home
The main (and only) building
LP has a little airport for local flights only. It's 10 minutes away, expect to pay about 2 USD if you go there by jumbo or moto.
I took there a flight to Vientiane, that took 40 minutes with Lao Aviation (45 USD).
There is a little shop, a cafeteria and 2 waiting rooms. No airport taxes, as U won't leave the country from here.
Driver in front
There are a few excursions that can be made by the river. Basically, there are 2: Some nice waterfalls down the river and some buddhist caves up the river. I did only the caves, which took me 2 hours to get there (upstream) and 1 to come back (downstream).
You will see advertising of those daytrips everywhere. I just went to the riverside and chose the first little boat I saw. He charged me 10 USD for the trip, having the boat (capacity 6 persons) all for my own. I guess if you are a group you can negotiate.
It rained, but as it has a wooden roof, I didn't care. They always go by the shore, as the currents in the Mekong are strong in Monsoon Season.
More Reviews (31)
- See All Sunset from Mount Phousit
- See All Villa Santi Hotel Restaurant
- See All Wat Manolom
- Behave properly
- See All Le Calao Inn
SirRichard's Related Pages
Luang Prabang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It Really is the Jewel of the Jewel of SE Asia"
- "Luang Prabang: The Cheeky Monk"
- "A rare jewel in the Mekong Jungles"
- "World Heritage wonderland."
- "IMPREXXION: LUANG PRABANG"
- "Luang Prabang ~ Charming Town By the Mekong River"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Luang Prabang
- Hotels in Luang Prabang
- Transportation in Luang Prabang
- Nightlife in Luang Prabang
- Restaurants in Luang Prabang
- Shopping in Luang Prabang
- Warnings and Dangers in Luang Prabang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Luang Prabang
- 36 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Luang Prabang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Luang Prabang
- Posted in Travel Jerez de la Frontera Forum "Re: Walking around Jerez"
- Commented on one of jenniferchin's Luang Prabang travel pages
- Wrote a Review Sunset from Mount Phousit in Luang Prabang Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sunset from Mount Phousit"
- updated a Luang Prabang Travel Page "A rare jewel in the Mekong Jungles"
Photos in Luang PrabangSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues