"A rare jewel in the Mekong Jungles" Top 5 Page for this destination Luang Prabang by SirRichard
Luang Prabang Travel Guide: 1,033 reviews and 2,639 photos
You will find this city's name written in both ways. LP is a nice old colonnial town in the shore of the Mekong River, roughly in the middle of the north part of the country.
There you can find peaceful little monasteries with orange dressed monks, beautiful temples and charming 1940's french architecture.
To get there from Vientiane, the capital, you can fly (45 minutes), take the morning bus (9 hours) or the Mekong boats (3 days). The fastest, the less charming, of course...
There are buddhist temples and monasteries in every corner at this little town, it's incredible.
The most original and interesting place are the Tim Tang Caves, about 1 hour up the Mekong by boat. Here you find hundreds of Buddha Statues of all materials and sizes inside a cave.
But the most rewarding experience for me was waking up early and see the monks doing everyday labours at the courtyards. Such a peaceful atmosphere...
Here you can still find old colonial french architecture, 2 storey houses with nice verandas, amazing gardens and all of them with a traditional lao touch: those roofs, some doors, the tiles...
Mount Phousit summit is a perfect place to see the sunset in LP. From there you can have a wonderful view of all the... more travel advice
There are at least 3 daily buses from Vientiane to LP. The first one leaves at 7:30. It takes 9 hours to get to LP, as... more travel advice
SirRichard's Related Pages
Luang Prabang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It Really is the Jewel of the Jewel of SE Asia"
- "Luang Prabang: The Cheeky Monk"
- "A rare jewel in the Mekong Jungles"
- "World Heritage wonderland."
- "IMPREXXION: LUANG PRABANG"
- "Luang Prabang ~ Charming Town By the Mekong River"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Luang Prabang
- Hotels in Luang Prabang
- Transportation in Luang Prabang
- Nightlife in Luang Prabang
- Restaurants in Luang Prabang
- Shopping in Luang Prabang
- Warnings and Dangers in Luang Prabang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Luang Prabang
- 36 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Luang Prabang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Luang Prabang
- Posted in Travel Jerez de la Frontera Forum "Re: Walking around Jerez"
- Commented on one of jenniferchin's Luang Prabang travel pages
- Wrote a Review Sunset from Mount Phousit in Luang Prabang Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sunset from Mount Phousit"
- updated a Luang Prabang Travel Page "A rare jewel in the Mekong Jungles"
Photos in Luang PrabangSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues