"Vientiane, capital of tranquility" Top 5 Page for this destination Vientiane by SirRichard
Vientiane Travel Guide: 768 reviews and 1,754 photos
I arrived in Vientiane from busy Hanoi, Vietnam's capital. Sincerely, I had no idea of what Laos was gonna be like. Besides, my Lonely Planet was stoledn in Bangkok and I hadn't bought any other, so I left the airport guide-blind (first time in several trips).
I took a cab and told the driver to take me to the centre. When we arrived, I couldn't believe THAT was the centre of the capital. It seemed more the suburbs of a quiet rural village!!! No skycrappers, no traffic, no horns... I was in the middle of nowhere!!
First thing I did was choosing a room (the first one I saw for 5 $, as I had no guide) and go out to discover the city, as my bus to Luang Phabang left the following morning.
It was a nice surprise to find such BEAUTIFUL AMAZING FANTASTIC temples in the very heart of the city. It was such a calm relaxed walk from one to another, finding each one more beautiful than the previous...
Besides, there were about 10 tourists in all Vientiane, and I was 1 of them, so the contrast with Hanoi was incredible.
One thing that surprised me a lot (apart from the fact that there is no Coke in Laos!) was to find temples under construction. And I don't mean refurbishing, they were brand new. In the rest of the trip I always found old temples (real old in Cambodia), but here I had the chance to see temples being built and I felt that religion (buddhism) was a very living concept here, part of theit everyday life.
As you walk about in Vientiane you will find buddhas and temples in every corner. All of them have signs in lao... more travel advice
Apart from the town centre, there are spacious suburbs in Vientiane. In the map, the distances may seem short, but when... more travel advice
SirRichard's Related Pages
Vientiane Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "back to Vieng Chan"
- "Vientiane: Titch vs. the Mozzies"
- "Vientiane, capital of tranquility"
- "Vientaine - Capital City of Laos"
- "Bank Training Project - Bank of Lao PDR"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vientiane
- Hotels in Vientiane
- Transportation in Vientiane
- Nightlife in Vientiane
- Restaurants in Vientiane
- Shopping in Vientiane
- Warnings and Dangers in Vientiane
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vientiane
- 25 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Vientiane?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vientiane
Photos in VientianeSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues