"Vientiane, capital of tranquility" Top 5 Page for this destination Vientiane by SirRichard

Vientiane Travel Guide: 767 reviews and 1,747 photos

Slowing down

I arrived in Vientiane from busy Hanoi, Vietnam's capital. Sincerely, I had no idea of what Laos was gonna be like. Besides, my Lonely Planet was stoledn in Bangkok and I hadn't bought any other, so I left the airport guide-blind (first time in several trips).
I took a cab and told the driver to take me to the centre. When we arrived, I couldn't believe THAT was the centre of the capital. It seemed more the suburbs of a quiet rural village!!! No skycrappers, no traffic, no horns... I was in the middle of nowhere!!

A pleasant surprise!

First thing I did was choosing a room (the first one I saw for 5 $, as I had no guide) and go out to discover the city, as my bus to Luang Phabang left the following morning.
It was a nice surprise to find such BEAUTIFUL AMAZING FANTASTIC temples in the very heart of the city. It was such a calm relaxed walk from one to another, finding each one more beautiful than the previous...
Besides, there were about 10 tourists in all Vientiane, and I was 1 of them, so the contrast with Hanoi was incredible.

Living religion

One thing that surprised me a lot (apart from the fact that there is no Coke in Laos!) was to find temples under construction. And I don't mean refurbishing, they were brand new. In the rest of the trip I always found old temples (real old in Cambodia), but here I had the chance to see temples being built and I felt that religion (buddhism) was a very living concept here, part of theit everyday life.

• Last visit to Vientiane: Aug 2003
  • Intro Written Sep 4, 2003

• Mar 2, 2009 at 2:23 AM

Or go to Monument Books, spend $2.50 and get a very detailed Hobo map of Vientiane.

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2008 at 7:41 AM

Good page on the capital of Laos Joaquin. Nice temple photos.

• Jan 21, 2008 at 4:29 PM

The best shrimp 'puffs' I've ever eaten. Wish I knew the name in Laotian so I could ask a local Lao chef to cook them for me.

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Well, there was more than 10 tourists this time around :-) and I adore Sisaket Museum !!

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2007 at 8:37 AM

My virtual trip across your Lao pages is over. My real trip is planned for February. Hope to enjoy it as much as you did.

• daryll's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2007 at 6:48 AM

cant wait to experience the sunset over the mekong river

• sirenna's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2005 at 6:44 AM

Another lovely page - I could spend a happy afternoon virtually travalling via your well written tips and beautiful photos.

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2005 at 10:51 AM

Hi Sir Richard: After seeing the temples of Luang Prabang, those in Vientiane surprised me with their cheddar cheese color. Thank you for bringing back those enchanting memories.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2004 at 5:21 AM

Very interesting tips and great photos. I hope to see it myself someday.

• laughingbuddha's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2004 at 5:43 PM

Great and interesting photos that show a side of the country that is different from the usual travel pictures. I'm looking forward to my trip to Laos this fall. Thanks for sharing good information with us.

SirRichard

“When in doubt, move!”

Badges & Stats in Vientiane

Have you been to Vientiane?

Latest Activity in Vientiane