"Angkor Thom" Top 5 Page for this destination Angkor Thum by SirRichard
Angkor Thum Travel Guide: 266 reviews and 933 photos
Angkor Thom is a 3 kilometres square fortified place in the middle of the Angkor complex.
It has walls (8 meters high) all around, 5 gates with huge human faces in each of their 4 sides, and many temples and palaces within.
In the very centre of the square is the Bayon Temple (see pic).
It was built in the 12-13th centuries.
There are many things to see inside:
- The gates. 5. The best preserved is the south one, the one you will enter by if you come from Angkor Wat.
- The Bayon Temple. In the very middle.
- The Phimeanakas. A temple built on the ruins of former Royal palaces.
- The Terraces. This long elevated promenades near the Phimeanakas (south to north) were used by the kings for cremations and other public events.
- And many other little and medium temples, towers...
This was, for me, the best of the many highlights there. I went there once as part of a quick tour around the temples and returned on the next day early in the morning to see the sunrise here and to take a closer and slower look at the bas-reliefs that you can find on the walls all around the first floor of the temple.
There are so many temples and they are so huge that you will never find them too crowded. Most of the time, you will... more travel advice
Some pieces depict everyday scenes. In this you can see a pic of the Royal Court, with all the servants at the ground,... more travel advice
SirRichard's Related Pages
Angkor Thum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Angkor Thom - Amazing Stone Faces"
- "Under Construction - The Last Angkor City"
- "Angkor Thom"
- "Angkor Thom"
- "Thousand peaceful faces of The King"
- "The Bayon at Angkor Thom"
- "The Walled City of Amazing Temples"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Angkor Thum
- Hotels in Angkor Thum
- Transportation in Angkor Thum
- Restaurants in Angkor Thum
- Warnings and Dangers in Angkor Thum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Angkor Thum
- 12 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Angkor Thum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Angkor Thum
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues