"Ajanta & Ellora caves" Top 5 Page for this destination Aurangabad by SirRichard

Aurangabad Travel Guide: 165 reviews and 628 photos

Aurangabad has a few interesting highlights, but is mostly known for being a basecamp for the visits to the famous buddhist/hinduist/jainist caves with carvings and statues located near Ajanta and Ellora, 2 tiny villages not far from Aurangabad.

The city is located some 250 kms east of Mumbai. I took a night train to arrive here, and from here I took a guided moto-rickshaw to make a day trip to Ellora (1 day) and another to Ajanta (another day) to see the caves.

My guide was called Yunuskhan (Yunu for friends). I met him by chance (as most of the fundamental things in life). Coming down from the train, having slept very very little, my first contact with Aurangabad was a tall thin guy with a moustache holding my arm and telling me hello, sir, guide sir, cheap, don’t worry, be happy.
As I saw a whole bunch of same looking guys after him with the same intentions, I thought: what the Hell, if I will have to get one sooner or later, let it be sooner, and so I’ll get rid of the rest. And that was the beginning of a beautiful friendship… (continued in the travelogue).

• Last visit to Aurangabad: Aug 2001
  • Intro Updated Mar 27, 2003

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2006 at 5:02 AM

Nice set of pages...and some lovely photo's! Blu

• aadil's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2005 at 11:23 PM

Lovely tips but since we (Mizzie & me) went in winter there were no water falls at both the cave sites!!! The view from the top of the Ellora cave 16 is the best view of all!!! So where are your impressive paintings of these caves?!!!

• mizzzthanggg's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2005 at 10:37 AM

Great pages!! I was debating whether or not to visit Ellora and Ajantha since I'm only going to be in India for 5 days... but your pages convince me to go!! ;D

• diageva's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2004 at 1:31 PM

pues sí ... dejar la mochila a alguien es buena idea ... :) me duele la espalda nada más de pensar en la mochila que voy a tener que cargar :)

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2003 at 2:49 PM

Great page Richard. I think that visiting the caves at Ajanta and Ellora were the favourite experience in India.

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2003 at 11:30 AM

I have a little Taj Mahal on my coffee table :-)!!! Could you see the root system of that tree above the cave? Another great SirRichard location!!

• Canadienne's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2003 at 2:32 PM

Yet another spot in India that I missed ~ there's always next time. . . It looks fantastic and your luck with Yunu is amazing! What a great guide!

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2003 at 4:48 AM

What a fantastic experience you had with Yunu! That (I think) is a rarity! I was at those caves 20 years ago. The prices have gone up! Thanks for bringing back some memories. The caves are so hard to show in a photograph but you've done a great job!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2003 at 9:29 PM

Fabulous caves and definitely worth visiting. Obviously go in the cooler months. Surprising to see the version of the Taj Mahal. You had a good guide.

SirRichard

“When in doubt, move!”

Badges & Stats in Aurangabad

Have you been to Aurangabad?

Latest Activity in Aurangabad