"Ioannina and the region" Top 5 Page for this destination Ioannina by StefanosS
Ioannina Travel Guide: 167 reviews and 553 photos
Alternative spellings: Ioannina or Yiannena
Ioannina: Some History.
The Byzantine Emperor Justinian initially built the Castle of Ioannina in 528AD, around a small settlement. The tower of seignior Thomas and a small part of NW acropolis are remains of that era. Add-ons and extensions were made in 802AD and later, after 1204 (when the Byzantine Empire was abolished by the Crusaders), by the Byzantine Seigniory of Epirus. The Seigniory of Epirus remained free and independent until 1318, when it was again incorporated to the Byzantine Kingdom of Constantinople as semi-independent, but suffered by various invaders both from the North and West. In 1430 the city was surrendered to the Turks who added their own extensions and installations to the fortress. In 1611 the city was totally destroyed after the unsuccessful revolution of Dionyssios.
Ioannina was soon revived and flourished economically by commerce and manufacturing. Many citizens migrated to Italy, France, Vienna, Budapest, Bucharest, Moldavia, Russia... They got education and returned to their home-city building schools, printing-houses, libraries, and public welfare institutions. The city started expanding more and more out of the walls. About 1790 Ali-pasha Tepelenli, a Turk-Albanian ex-robber, installed a semi-independent regime on a great part of Greece, having his seat in Ioannina and challenging even the authority of the Turk Sultan of Istanbul. As Ali-pasha supported the bourgeois and the merchandise, there was a new impetus to developing. But the Sultan sent a strong military force against him in 1821, Ali was defeated and killed and Ioannina was destroyed once again. An epidemic of plague in 1823 and two big fires (1856, 1869) were also heavy setbacks.
The city revived after the liberation in 1913.
View of Ioannina, 1843.
Steel-engraving by C. Reiss.
From the book of: Allom, T., Constantinople and the scenery of the Seven Churches of Asia Minor, London, 1843.
Arriving at the dock of Ioannina we see the boats plying the lake. Communication is very frequent and it takes about... more travel advice
E.H.M. - Society for Epirotic Studies The museum stretches today on a total area of 600 square meters of the more... more travel advice
StefanosS's Related Pages
Ioannina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ioannina, capital of Epirus."
- "Water all around...."
- "Ioannina and the region"
- "The Idyllic City of Ioannina"
- "Welcome to Ioannina, the city of silversmiths."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ioannina
- Hotels in Ioannina
- Transportation in Ioannina
- Nightlife in Ioannina
- Restaurants in Ioannina
- Shopping in Ioannina
- Warnings and Dangers in Ioannina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ioannina
- 26 Reviews
- 152 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 68 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Ioannina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ioannina
Photos in IoanninaSee All Photos (152)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ioannina Intro, 26 reviews, 152 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 51 reviews, 109 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 7 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aghion Oros (Mount Athos) Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volos Intro, 19 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skiathos Island Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Alonnisos Island Intro, 17 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- West Mani Intro, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kastoria Intro, 6 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kavala Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (67)
Latest Ioannina hotel reviews
- Hotel Kastro
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 26, 2013
- Byzantio Hotel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 24, 2013
- Palladion Hotel
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 30, 2012
- Epirus Lx Palace
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Politeia Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel du Lac & Congress Center
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Hotel Olympic Ioannina
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 4, 2012