"Kastoria, the city and the lake." Top 5 Page for this destination Kastoria by StefanosS
Kastoria Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 204 photos
I have been at Kastoria
for the weekend 8 & 9 June 2002
with the VT friend GeorgiosX.
Kastoria is located in north-western Greece, built on the peninsula that enters the Orestiada lake, 623 meters above sea level, between the large mountains of Vitsi and Grammos.
It is said that Kastoria, the capital of the prefecture of the same name, is one of the most beautiful, panoramic, and majestic cities of Greece. Rich elements of the Byzantine culture can still be found in Kastoria, unique in the architectural aristocratic tradition. Kastoria, built on the shores of a lovely lake, is an attractive city with old neighbourhoods, narrow lanes, stately mansions and Byzantine walls and churches. The beautiful physical environment with the dominating lake composes its identity. The soil of the region is mountainous and the climate is continental with cold winters and hot summers. According to the latest census the population of the prefecture of Kastoria comes up to 52,000 inhabitants. In the city of Kastoria, more than 22,000 people are living today.
Lake Orestiada, the lake of Kastoria, is the most precious treasure of the town, as a place of recreation and as a stimulus for romanticism and reminiscence. It is considered morphologically the most beautiful lake of Greece and has been announced as a Monument of Natural Beauty by the Ministry of Culture.
Lake Kastoria is especially beautiful in autumn and spring, the best seasons to get to know the city. At various points around the lake you'll find restaurants, taverns, rotisseries, and cafes for gazing at the lake and reflecting on what you've seen. Having a dinner by the lake is a must !
The peninsula on which Kastoria is built has the shape of a mushroom and the city is built on its stem. Following the... more travel advice
This church is built on the slopes of the old city hill and watching the north part of the lake. It is a three aisle... more travel advice
StefanosS's Related Pages
Kastoria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kastoria, the fur capital of Europe."
- "Kastoria, the lady of the Lake....."
- "picturesque Kastoria!"
- "Kastoria, the city and the lake."
- "Kastoria by winter"
- "Kastoria - ÊáóôïñéÜ"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kastoria
- Hotels in Kastoria
- Restaurants in Kastoria
- Warnings and Dangers in Kastoria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kastoria
- 6 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (88)
Have you been to Kastoria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kastoria
Photos in KastoriaSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Ioannina Intro, 26 reviews, 152 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 53 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Evia Intro, 7 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aghion Oros (Mount Athos) Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volos Intro, 19 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skiathos Island Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Alonnisos Island Intro, 17 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- West Mani Intro, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kastoria Intro, 6 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kavala Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues