"Chalkis - Prefecture of Evia" Top 5 Page for this destination Chalkis by StefanosS

Chalkis Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 84 photos

Alternative spelling:
Chalkis, Khalkis, Halkis, Chalkida, Chalkidha, Khalkidha, Halkida.

Evripos channel is a natural channel between Evia island and the Greek mainland, while the city of Chalkida is developed on both sides.

Many legends exist, trying to justify the almost unique tide phenomenon in this channel. Some researchers stayed on the illusion of explaining it while some others, unable to explain it, stayed admiring its magnificence. The water-flow in Evripos channel is changing direction about every 6 hours, a rare physical phenomenon, triggering the imagination and the curiosity of humans since the prehistoric times, searching for mythological, astronomical, physical and philosophical explanations. The place where the old bridge is built, is the narrowest point of the channel, and the water current can reach the speed of 15km (9 miles) per hour! It is really interesting to watch the reversion of flow direction that happens about every 6 hours. The exact time of reversion is determined by the position of the moon.

It is mentioned that a wooden bridge was constructed over Evripos channel in 410 BC, having a tower on each side for protection purposes. In 510 AD, Byzantine emperor Justinian made a drawbridge. During Turkish occupation the bridge was wooden and stable. In 1858 was changed to a wooden movable one and in 1896 an iron rotary bridge was constructed, that stayed in use till 1962, when the present draw-bridge was made. It is a fine observation point to watch the channel tide.

The new suspension bridge is the new entrance to the city. Its construction finished in 1993. Being an impressive achievement and built to the south of the old bridge, contributes to the easier approach of the city and the relief of the traffic.

Karababa castle was built by the Venetians after 1204, and was named Forte del Negreponte. It was one of the strongest castles of the time. It was occupied by the Turks in 1470 and was named Karababa, and later was rebuilt (1684) by the Venetian architect Gerolimo Galopo, being used until 1859. Some ruins of a big water cistern are preserved, as well as two Russian canons of the 19th century.

It is located on the stony hill Kanithos, on the land opposite to the island of Evia, not far from Evripos channel. The only building inside the castle is the chapel of Prophet Elias. By the castle is also the grave of the poet and writer Yiannis Skarimbas (1893-1984), overlooking the place and the city he loved.


The Archaeological Museum

The building was constructed at the early 20th century (1900-1902) and later extended to house in its yard the new collections of tombstones and Roman sculptures and the sculptures of the temple of Dafniforos Apollon at Eretria; this temple was destroyed by the Persians on 490BC. The rest exhibited articles comprise findings of the prehistoric settlement of Manika (3rd millennium BC), Mycenean pottery and statuettes, Roman votive offerings, Classic and Hellenistic coins from Chalkis, Eretria and Karystos etc.

You can also visit:

The Roman Aqueduct, sited at the region Kamares, to the north-east of the city. The water was coming from Kambia.

The prehistoric settlement of Manika

The temple of Artemis in Avlida
Although sited on the land opposite to the island, the area belongs to the Prefecture of Evia.

  • Last visit to Chalkis: Jun 1996
  • Intro Updated Mar 16, 2004
  • Add to Trip Planner (?)
  • Report Abuse

Reviews (17)

Comments (54)

StefanosS

“We are all travellers on the earth. We come...we see...we go...”

Online Now

Male

Top 1,000 Travel Writer
Member Rank:
0 0 7 1 4
Forum Rank:
0 0 2 0 9

Badges & Stats in Chalkis

  • 17 Reviews
  • 28 Photos
  • 2 Forum posts
  • 54 Comments
  • 6,169PageViews

Have you been to Chalkis?

  Share Your Travels  

Latest Activity in Chalkis

Travel Interests

See All Travel Interests (5)