"Eikosifinissa convent - Prefecture of Serres" Kormista by StefanosS
Kormista Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 4 photos
5km above Kormista village, on the slopes of Pangeon mountain, the Holy Convent Eikosifinissa was founded as monastery in about 450AD and rebuilt in 518 and later again in the 11th century. A new age for the monastery started in 1472 and during the first decades of Turkish occupation became glorious and famous. In 1507 there were 172 monks in it, strengthening the Christians of the area by teaching the language and the religion, but the Turks became angry and slaughtered all of them. Today a memorial of the 172 victims is in front of it.
Some years later, the Patriarch of Constantinople obtained the permission of the Sultan and new monks from the Holy Mountain came there and continued the same mission. A famous Greek School and a Library started functioning there and continued until the 20th century. The two Balkan Wars (1912-13) liberated Northern Greece from Turkish occupation.
In 1917, when the Bulgarians plundered it during WW1, the library had about 1300 books and many valuable manuscripts. In 1943 the Bulgarians came again during WW2 to complete their "work": they burned it down.
Restoration began in 1965. In 1997 the monastery, turned into convent, had already 25 nuns. The church is sacred to the "Presentation of Virgin Mary" (21 November). It is a precious shrine for the people of Northern Greece and hundreds of pilgrims visit it every day.
Some of the old treasures of Eikosifinissa have been located in Bulgarian museums.
StefanosS's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Kormista
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Kormista?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kormista
Photos in KormistaSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ioannina Intro, 26 reviews, 152 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 53 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Evia Intro, 7 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aghion Oros (Mount Athos) Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volos Intro, 19 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skiathos Island Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Alonnisos Island Intro, 17 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- West Mani Intro, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kastoria Intro, 6 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kavala Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues