"Mytilini" Mytilini by StefanosS
Mytilini Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 10 photos
The town of Mytilini, which lies on the SE coast of Lesvos island, is a modern town with many elements from the past. It is the island capital and the chair of the Prefecture of Lesvos; an administrative, commercial and cultural centre with a population of 40.000.
Present-day Mytilini occupies seven hills, while its fortress, one of the largest in the Mediterranean, lies on a pine-covered hillock to the east of the town. What is remarkable about the castle hillock is that, up until the 1st century AD, it comprised a separate island. Later, the sea distance separating it from the adjacent town of Mytilini was gradually eliminated by soil deposits which formed banks; thus the town expanded westward. There is evidence that the castle islet was linked to the opposite coasts via bridges during the classical times. A channel, the opening of which was found in the Epano Skala district, linked the northern and southern port.
The waterfront of the inner port (southern) lends the town its special colour. As the boat approaches the island, a combination of old manor houses and contemporary buildings comes into view. Along the waterfront, visitors come across the New Municipal Theatre, the Town Hall, the well-restored neo-classical style buildings, as well as banks, hotels, coffee shops, sweet shops, restaurants, travel agencies, shipping company offices etc. The waterfront is ideal for a "promenade", particularly during the evening. This is when the light peers over the hills, lending colour to the port, and a sense of serenity to its visitors.
The domes of Aghios Therapon church rising behind the buildings at the seafront. more travel advice
In the North part of the town, between a green pinewood and the sea, stand the remains of the castle. It is quite well... more travel advice
StefanosS's Related Pages
Mytilini Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mytilene - the island of Lesvos !"
- "Mytilini, the Capital of Lesvos"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mytilini
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Mytilini?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mytilini
Photos in MytiliniSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ioannina Intro, 26 reviews, 152 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 51 reviews, 109 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 7 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aghion Oros (Mount Athos) Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volos Intro, 19 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skiathos Island Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Alonnisos Island Intro, 17 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- West Mani Intro, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kastoria Intro, 6 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kavala Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues