"NOSTIMO - Prefecture of Kastoria" Nostimon by StefanosS
Nostimon Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 14 photos
The village Nostimo(n) is recently widely known due to the petrified forest discovered on the slopes arround it.
It is a typical poor beautiful maountainous Greek village. Keep your expectations low, but enjoy the natural beauty.
After visiting the Petrified Forest Museum, enjoy a walk in the paths of the Petrified Forest Park.
The main features of the Fossilised Forest are the perfect fossilisation of the tree trunks and the uniqueness of the findings. The palms possess an outstanding position, as they are the only ones found in continental Greece, a fact that attributes a special importance to the historical evolution of the plants and the climate of the past, not only in the Greek territory but also on a worldwide level.
All around the village exist also rare sea fossils, such as starfishes, mussels, cockles, snails, shark tooth, a sea-turtle etc. There have also been found some animal fossils with special scientific importance, that reverse the hitherto historical data. The fossilised tooth of a huge prehistoric herbivorous animal is very impressive.
You may see some findings in the hall of the Elementary School of Nostimo, where there is a temporary exhibition. This room is open everyday and two young amateurs from the village offer you a conducted tour.
The building of the new museum is almost ready to house the surprising findings, overcoming even the imagination of the scientists! Excavations are still in progress.
For more information, please phone to:
(+30) 24670 / 84588, 84566, 84572, 84591
See also my travelogue below:
'Some petrified findings'.
and in my Kastoria page, the travelogue
- Pros:Impressive findings.
- In a nutshell:It worths a visit, if you can spend enough time.
StefanosS's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Nostimon
- 1 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Nostimon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nostimon
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ioannina Intro, 26 reviews, 152 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 53 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Evia Intro, 7 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aghion Oros (Mount Athos) Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volos Intro, 19 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skiathos Island Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Alonnisos Island Intro, 17 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- West Mani Intro, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kastoria Intro, 6 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kavala Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues