"Varia - Lesvos island" Vareia by StefanosS
Vareia Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 7 photos
The Theophilos museum, built in 1964, is located in Varia district, a suburb south of the town of Mytilini. This museum exhibits works of the folk painter of Lesvos, Theofilos, the “Greek Van Gogh”, who became also known as “Tsolia” (evzone) because he always wore a graphic kind of Greek kilt. It was built with the initiative and financing of the famous Mytilenian publisher of art books in Paris, Stratis Eleftheriades (better known as Teriade). Varia is the place where the folk artist was born and spent his childhood years.
In 1965, Teriade donated the Museum to the Municipality of Mytilini, together with 86 of Theophilos' paintings from his own private collection. Since then, it has been operating as a municipal museum.
The building harmonizes prefectly with the extensive olive grove around it. It consists of five connected exhibition rooms in which are displayed the 86 paintings by Theophilos. Their subjects are inspired from folk art, history and mythology. They also depict everyday scenes, costumes, landscapes, etc. Among Theofilos’ finest works are “Limnios Kehayas”, “The Gulf of Yera”, “Trata (A Traditional Dance)” etc.
The Museum opened its doors to the public in August 1979. Located on the same grounds as the Theofilos museum, this museum is the result of its founder’s wish to exhibit his publishing work. Stratis Eleftheriadis - Teriade (1889-1983) was an inspired publisher. From his cooperation with the leading artists of the 20th century, were born the so-called “Great Books”, which are the most important exhibits of the Museum, containing original works of art and designs created by great painters.
In the Teriade Museum is housed on a permanent basis the exhibition entitled "Tribute to Teriade", organized in May 1973 at the Grand Palais in Paris, by the French Ministry of Culture. For the first time, painters such as Matisse, Picasso, Chagall, were given the opportunity not simply to illustrate books, but to create an artisic work through the medium of the book.
In the Museum are also exhibited works by: Baudin, Bornard, Bores, Chagall, Giacometti, Grimaire, Laurence, Le Corbusier, Leger, Matisse, Miro, Picasso, as well as by the Greeks: Yiorgos Vakirtzis, Theofilos Hadjimichail, Manolis Kalliyiannis, Orestis Kanellis, Kalliroi Marouda, Yiorgos Rorris, Yiannis Tsarouchis.
The exhibition rooms occasionally house also temporary exhibitions of the works of established painters.
edited by Teriade and exposed in the Teriade Museum. Sorry, I don't remember the creator... more travel advice
StefanosS's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Vareia
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (88)
Have you been to Vareia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vareia
Top 10 Pages
- Ioannina Intro, 26 reviews, 152 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 53 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Evia Intro, 7 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aghion Oros (Mount Athos) Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volos Intro, 19 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skiathos Island Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Alonnisos Island Intro, 17 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- West Mani Intro, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kastoria Intro, 6 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kavala Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues