"Volissos - Chios island" Volissos by StefanosS
Volissos Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 13 photos
Volissos is a large village, the capital of the newly established Municipality of Amani, the centre of the Northern Villages at 40 Km from the city of Chios. Volissos is situated at the foot and the slopes of a low hill, built in an amphitheatric style. It is a very old village, the name of which probably relates to the Minoan times. Short, narrow roads, paved with sea pebbles and its wonderful view of the island, are the characteristic of the village.
On top of the hill stands like a the crown its Castle, "Pyrghos" (= Tower), as the inhabitants call it, dating back to the Byzantine times still in quite good condition and giving the village a different and imposing beauty. According to the local tradition, a General of the Byzantine Emperor Justinian (527-565 AD), Velissarios, who settled here after he was blinded, has built the Castle. It has a trapezoid shape with six circular towers. Inside the castle, there are several constructions, reservoirs and churches, as well as a tunnel connecting the Castle with the sea and the neighbourhood of Pithonas.
Homer is said to have lived here. The local people still keep one of the older houses as "Homer's home".
Besides the castle, Volissos also has several water mills and numerous Byzantine churches. You can visit some of these sights if you follow the labelled walking path that starts from the village, passes through the community road, crosses the old water mills, meets the church of Aghios Georgios Vassilikos, then four more old water mills and ends to the church of Panaghia Neromilon.
The area of Volissos includes some of the most excellent beaches of the island, unknown to many people: Managros, with permanent Scouts Camping facilities, Magemena, Limnos, Lefkathia and Aghia Markella. From the port of Limia (lying 2 km from Volissos) there is boat connection with the island of Psara.
The monastery of Aghia Markella (the most honoured saint in Chios) lies 8 km from Volissos. Every year, in the 22nd of July religious festivities are organised for her honour. At the place of the Saint's martyrdom, called by the locals "Aghiasma", at the point where the beach meets the waves of the sea, there are warm ferrous water springs.
StefanosS's Related Pages
Volissos Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Volissos
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Volissos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Volissos
Photos in VolissosSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ioannina Intro, 26 reviews, 152 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 53 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 7 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aghion Oros (Mount Athos) Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volos Intro, 19 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skiathos Island Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Alonnisos Island Intro, 17 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- West Mani Intro, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kastoria Intro, 6 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kavala Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues