"Volos, Pilio and the environs" Top 5 Page for this destination Volos by StefanosS
Volos Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 215 photos
There are so many to do in the region!
Sea and mountain, nature and antiquities, legent and history, gastronomy and culture...
There are so many to talk about!
Thessaly, according to the scientists, was covered by the sea, and raised up at about 8,000 BC. This fact can be traced on the greek word THESSALIA, as THESSIS + ALOS, that could be translated as "place of sea" or "place of salt". Thousands of years later, an ancient town existed near Volos with the name "ALOS", and not far from its ruins, today is a modern town named "ALMYROS", a word that in modern Greek, has exactly the same meaning ("salty"). It is possible that the great violent rearrangement of the earth surface that happened 8,000 years BC. has to do with Noah's Flood and the analogous recordings in the mythology of other civilisations.
One of the most strange figures of the greek mythology is that of the Centaurs: a perfect horse body but at the place of the neck there was a man's trunk with arms and head! Centaurs were living in the region of Pelion and were rather calm people, hunters, doctors, wisemen, teachers. What kind of monsters were they?
The answer is very simple, and can be also found by the greek word KENTAVROS, that has two components: KENTOO + TAVROS that means to GOAD a TAURUS (or ox). Centaurs were the "cowboys" of Magnesia, leading their herds to the grasslands! And it is well known that a man can do this job only on the back of a horse! As the land was still partially salty, agriculture could not be a good job. It is remarkable that there is not any referance about female centaurs! Their wives were absolutely humans and are depicted riding on the back of Centaurs! Later generations kept this name, though most of them had already other occupations.
Though Thessaly was a "place of sea", Pelagonian, a chain of mountains comming down from NW to SE (central Macedonia, Chalkidiki including Athos, Olympus, Ossa, Pelion, the island of Evia) was already a dry land for the last 140 million years, as one of the oldest dry lands of the European area. This could be a good reason for the great variety of plants that can be found on Pelion, along with the good climate. Among these plants, there are many pharmaceutical herbs, more than one half of the pharmaceutical herbs of the whole planet! According to Greek mythology, many Centaurs were famous doctors. Aeskulapius (Asklipios), the ancient god of medicine, was born at the foothills of Pelion and was trained by the Centaurs.
Try my TRAVELOGUES about Volos and the region.
An interesting web-site about Volos and the region is the one of the Port of Volos (available in both Greek and English):
Pelagos or Pelagonisi or Kyra-Panaghia island
Yioura (or Gioura) island
A view of Volos port and Pilion mountain from the boat, while waiting to sail to Skiathos. more travel advice
StefanosS's Related Pages
Volos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Volos, where the Greeks go"
- "Volos, Pilio and the environs"
- "Volos, Pilio"
- "Alonaki Beach, Aiolia Beach Bar-cafe"
- "History of Volos"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Volos
- Hotels in Volos
- Transportation in Volos
- Nightlife in Volos
- Restaurants in Volos
- Shopping in Volos
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Volos
- 19 Reviews
- 84 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 59 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Volos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Volos
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ioannina Intro, 26 reviews, 152 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 51 reviews, 109 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 7 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aghion Oros (Mount Athos) Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volos Intro, 19 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skiathos Island Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Alonnisos Island Intro, 17 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- West Mani Intro, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kastoria Intro, 6 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kavala Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues