"Angono, Rizal" Angono by StefanosS
Angono Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 58 photos
There is no doubt that Angono has the right to bear the title of
Cultural Capital of the Philippines.
A long list of artists are studying and working in the area, while the Angono Petroglyphs testimony about a 5,000 years old tradition.
Pope Clement I, locally known as San Clemente, is the patron saint of Angono and like in most Philippine towns, a feast in his honor is celebrated annually. This celebration, every November 23 is highlighted by a fluvial procession in Laguna Lake locally known as "Pagoda", and is participated in by townsfolk and tourists alike, while on the previous day, November 22, a parade of "Higantes" (=Giants) takes place in the streets of Angono.
Angono is also known for more religious celebrations.
Druing the entire Holy Week, the town observes rites that are also held in other Catholic towns - the Cenaculo or passion paly, the Santo Entierro procession on Good Friday, the reunion of the Risen Christ with the Virgin Mother on easter Sunday´s "Salubong" - but those held in Angono are not only colorful and elaborate but closely follow traditional practices.
The Carabao Festival held on May 15 in honor of San Isidro Labrador, the patron saint for farmers, features a procession of carabao-pulled carts decorated with flowers and bunting, a carabao race across ricefields, and a priest blessing the kneeling beasts.
The National Artist of Philippines Carlos Botong Francisco discovered the place in 1965 and reported to a friend working... more travel advice
StefanosS's Related Pages
Angono Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of the Higantes Festival"
- "Angono, Rizal"
- "Art's Capital"
- "The Art Capital of the Philippines"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Angono
- Hotels in Angono
- Transportation in Angono
- Restaurants in Angono
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Angono
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Angono?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Angono
Photos in AngonoSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ioannina Intro, 26 reviews, 152 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 49 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 7 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aghion Oros (Mount Athos) Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volos Intro, 19 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skiathos Island Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Alonnisos Island Intro, 17 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- West Mani Intro, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kastoria Intro, 6 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kavala Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues