"Puerto Galera" Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Galera by StefanosS
Puerto Galera Travel Guide: 378 reviews and 960 photos
Puerto Galera owes its name to the well closed safe harbor it offers to the ships. The name is Spanish for Port of Galleons. The harbor or Muelle bay has two natural canals-entrances at the two sides of the San Antonio (or Mendio) island. Many other smaller bays and coves, points, caves and beaches are formed along the multifarious coast of the area. Many beaches can be accessed only by boats. Puerto Galera is the most popular vacation spot for urbanites next to Boracay. It is the most accessible, relatively relaxing beach from Metro Manila. Puerto Galera is more than just a beach. One can also trek up to the Tamaraw Waterfalls or climb up Mt. Malisimbo.
There is a little confusion between the "tourist" names and the "official" names. Now the name Puerto Galera refers to all the area around. It is a municipality comprising 13 barangays. The biggest settlement of the area (and the seat of the mayor) is Poblacion, at Muelle bay.
The main public beach is White Beach, but there are several other beaches like Sabang, Small Lalaguna, and Big Lalaguna. All these beaches are open for a range of activities like swimming, snorkeling, and diving. The best place to go snorkeling is Coral Beach, known also as Long Beach or Coral Garden.
You can find more info in VT about some interesting spots in the Puerto Galera area. Starting from Poblacion:
Balatero, to the west, 3.5km away by road, is the dock of the car-ferry.
White Beach (or barangay San Isidro), to the west, 6km away by road (check my Travelogue)
Sabang, to the NE, 7km away by road. (For some reason, Sabang is registered twice in VT). This is the "center" of the night life.
Tabinay, 4km to the SE, on the way to Tamaraw Falls and Calapan.
Tamaraw Falls, to the south-east, 15km away by road (check my Travelogue)
Nightlife at Puerto Galera may not be as active as that of Boracay, but the restaurants and bars are fine places for dining and drinking with friends.
This map shows some interesting diving spots in the area.
Land telephone lines are available only in Poblacion, Sto Nino and Sabang area. That's why for many resorts communication is difficult and is done only by mobiles.
Important: Probably because of poor telecommunications, there are no ATMs for your cash in Puerto Galera.
(and be patient while loading !!!). There is a lot of info in this site, but some info is not accurate (e.g. Alibatan island is too far away...), so you have to double-check.
The Mangyans are the original inhabitants of Mindoro Island, and their culture is a virtually unbroken lineage that has... more travel advice
This small museum houses collections of Chinese and Siamese pottery, from the 15th to the 19th centuries. Some exhibits... more travel advice
StefanosS's Related Pages
Puerto Galera Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Puerto Galera - Port of Galleons"
- "Puerto Galera and its beautiful sites"
- "Puerto Galera"
- "Puerto Galera"
- "WHITE BEACH, Puerto Galera, Mindoro Oriental"
- "Paradise Galera"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Puerto Galera
- Hotels in Puerto Galera
- Transportation in Puerto Galera
- Nightlife in Puerto Galera
- Restaurants in Puerto Galera
- Shopping in Puerto Galera
- Warnings and Dangers in Puerto Galera
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Puerto Galera
- 11 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 23 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Puerto Galera?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Puerto Galera
Photos in Puerto GaleraSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ioannina Intro, 26 reviews, 152 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 53 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Evia Intro, 7 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aghion Oros (Mount Athos) Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volos Intro, 19 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skiathos Island Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Alonnisos Island Intro, 17 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- West Mani Intro, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kastoria Intro, 6 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kavala Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues