"Welcome to my Virtual Home !!!" StefanosS's Profile
If you think of visiting Greece...
Greece is much more...
Greece is a way of living and a way of thinking...
it is a way of enjoying anything that consists living
it is a respect to anything that is life
loving life and living love
Here is a quotation about Greeks:
"I regard the Greeks as extremely healthy in their behaviour. They would never chatter senselessly about sunsets or discuss whether the shadows on the grass were dark blue or not. They found out however, that the sea was intended for the swimmer and that the sand was meant for the runners' feet. They loved the trees for their shadow, the afternoon and the forest for their silence. The wine maker crowned his hair with ivy to protect himself from the rays of the sun while he was bending over the new layer of growth. As far as the artist and the athlete are concerned, the two types of people Greece gave to us, they were making garlands from the leaves of oleander and parsley, which otherwise would be useless to man".
Oscar Wilde, De profundis-Epistola: in Carcere et Vinculis
Here is a little story:
When I was student at the University of Patras, in the 70's, a colleague bought a new motor bike. He was very happy and proud for his motor bike, but unfortunately, the bike was stolen two days later! My poor friend was shocked and started immediately his personal investigation. For one week he was looking for information about the under-world of Patras, and somebody told him to go and look in a specific place. It was a small bar named "Small Paris" (!!!) in a neighbourhood called "the gypsies'", a dirty, low-ceiling room, painted with whitewash. The furniture was just a few old tables and old chairs, an old jukebox (it would be valuable for a museum), a long refrigerator and a rotten wooden cash desk. I have personally visited the place, so the description is "first hand". Drinks served were ouzo, beer and whisky. My poor friend was scared, but being brave enough, went in there alone. A dozen of men were sitting around and drinking. The most "respectful" of the company seemed to be an unshaved guy with a big mustachio and my friend addressed to him.
"Excuse me, may I ask you something?..."
No response, just a curious look...
"Excuse me, I am looking for my motor bike... I have lost it last week, it was a new one!"
"Really? Oh dear! Have a seat boy! You want a beer?"
"Yes, thank you! it was a red HONDA, 50cc..."
"A beer for the boy!"
The beer was served and some minutes later my friend asked again:
"Do you know anything about it?"
"Where was it?"
"Kanakari street, near the University..."
"One more beer for the boy! Does anybody know about a red little HONDA stolen last week from the University?"
No response. One more beer came on the table. Time passed. My friend asked again:
"Is there any possibility..."
"We do our best, boy! One more beer?"
"Oh, no, thanks!"
"One more beer for the boy!"
The beer came on the table. Half an hour passed. Nobody got out, nobody entered. The big mustachio was the first to speak:
"Boy, around the corner there is a machine... Tell me if it is yours!"
"Here ??? !!!"
"To your left."
My friend got out and Yesssss!!! His bike was there! some parts were missing, some scratches, a mirror broken, but it was there ! He came back to the bar.
"Yes !!! It's mine!"
"Take it my boy!"
"Thank you so much!"
"Thanks for what ??? It was there !!! Take it and go with God's blessing !!!"
That's Greece !!!
Greeks like to play with everything, even with their gods, but still respecting them. Perhaps this is our great advantage, as well as our great disadvantage. An ancient Greek philosopher said:
Anyone is welcome to join our game of love and life
but remember: don't play bad games with us, you are playing with the fire...
Come on, join our game...
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 611 Reviews
- 2,150 Photos
- 7 Countries
- 83 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
- Commented on StefanosS's profile page
- StefanosS and VenesaT are now friends.
- Uploaded a Photo to "European Youth Capital City 2014"
- Posted in Travel Igoumenitsa Forum "Re: connection from igoumentisa..."
- Wrote a Review European Youth Capital City 2014 in Thessaloniki Things to Do
- updated a Thessaloniki Travel Page "Thessaloniki"
- Uploaded a Video to Greece
updated their Profile Page "Welcome to my Virtual Home !!!"
PhotosSee All Photos (2150)
VideosSee All Videos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ioannina Intro, 26 reviews, 152 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 53 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 7 reviews, 135 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aghion Oros (Mount Athos) Intro, 21 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volos Intro, 19 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skiathos Island Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Alonnisos Island Intro, 17 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- West Mani Intro, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kastoria Intro, 6 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kavala Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues